PDA

View Full Version : SB5 installer size / InstallShield X replacement

Unregistered
08-25-2004, 06:32 AM
Hello,

We are looking for alternatives to replace InstallShield.

Background: we have to release low overhead installations and the new InstallShield X Compact Installer feature looked promising ("deploy setups with the planet's smallest overhead"). But it's only a bad joke! The installer is nothing more than a simple self-extractor (no scripting available).

Question: I read that the SB5 overhead is only 100K. Is this also a "light" version or does it support scripting capability?

Best Regards,
John

michael
08-25-2004, 06:56 AM
John,

Thank you for your interest in our product.

Our setup compiler generates the tightest and fastest code in the software installation industry. The SB5 installer footprint (installer size without any files) is only 98 KB - this small piece of code, called stub, includes the GUI wizard, decompression library and script engine!!!!!

You will be amazed at how small SetupBuilder 5 can make the installation for your products.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact any of us via e-mail.

Unregistered
08-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Dear Michael,

Thank you - this sounds great. I already sent my email address to your Support Department. Could you please send me the SB5 beta version?

Best Regards,
John

Unregistered
08-27-2004, 05:44 AM
Dear Michael,

Thank you for sending the SB5 beta version. It works like a charm.

Our software installs 89 files. Here are my test results:

1) InstallShield X (InstallScript project):
Compile time: 25 seconds
setup.exe size: 8.73 MB

2) SetupFactory 7.0 Beta
Compiler time: 47 seconds
setup.exe site: 4,84 MB

3) SetupBuilder 5 Beta (SetupScript project)
Compile time: 8 seconds
setup.exe size: 3,98 MB

And the winner is... SB5

Thanks again!

John

Unregistered
08-27-2004, 06:00 AM
Just curious: is the SetupScript language your own or did you license it from a 3rd party vendor? SetupScript is very easy to use and gives us full control over the installation process.

We have tested two other "scriptable" installation systems and they do not have their own technology.

John

michael
08-27-2004, 06:27 AM
Thanks for posting the results!

michael
08-27-2004, 06:32 AM
We have developed the complete SetupBuilder / SetupScript technology (took 10 man years of research and development time). No 3rd party is involved at all.