PDA

View Full Version : File Replace Fails

UserWC
11-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi,

I'm using SetupBuilder 6.0.1750. When my install project runs, it needs to replace some files that are in use (one of which is itself). The install proceeeds successfully and pops up the standard message about needing to reboot. I assumed this was because it needed to overwrite the files that were in use, however after rebooting the machine the original files are still there and the updates ones are no where to be found.

So the question, how do I make the installer replace the files that are in use?

Thanks.

linder
11-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Hello,

I checked the version history and there was a fix for an in-use file replacement issue one year ago. So the latest SetupBuilder 6.9 version should do it for you.

Does this help?

Friedrich

Unregistered
11-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Hello,

I checked the version history and there was a fix for an in-use file replacement issue one year ago. So the latest SetupBuilder 6.9 version should do it for you.

Does this help?

Friedrich

Not unless I can get an update somehow. Seems the auto update is informing me that my Maintainance and support plan has expired.

linder
11-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Yes, that's correct. You need a valid maintenance and subscription plan to update to the latest version.

But there is a SetupBuilder 6.9 evaluation version available. You can use this to check if SB69 fixes your problem.

Hope this helps.

Friedrich

UserWC
11-06-2008, 11:44 AM
I would have to pay $229 to reactivate the plan for a single bug fix for a feature that was supposed to be available when I purchased the product. The ability to replace inuse files was one reason for purchasing Setup Builder (that and the update patches). As I see it, I'd have to pay extra to get a working version of software I have already paid for. If it can't replace an in-use file then it didn't work as advertised.

What version was this issue fixed in and what was it's release date.

UserWC
11-06-2008, 05:03 PM
I just tried SetupBuilder v6.9 and it still doesn't work quite right. It seems that if the install is run in an admin account it succeeds, if it is run in a non admin account it fails (with no indication of an error). More specifically, if the registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations is not writable to the account the installer is running in, the installer appears to succeed and requests a reboot but the files are never actually updated.

linder
11-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Well, this is a standard and native Windows functionality.

See Windows MoveFileEx documentation :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365240(VS.85).aspx

It's not a SetupBuilder issue at all because Windows handles the file replacement (on reboot).

Does this help?

Friedrich

linder
11-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Based on what you posted in your last message, this happens on a XP or later machine. In your original message you did not provide this information.

The fix was for Windows 9.x machines only:

FIX : [SB#804092] Installer: Possible replacement of in-use files issue on Windows 9.x operating systems.

Available in SetupBuilder 6.7 -- April 2008 Update -- Build 2198 (April 11, 2008)

And please see my answer to your next message.

Hope this helps.

Friedrich

linder
11-07-2008, 02:17 AM
BTW, if you need help to check for Admin privileges, let me know. You can do it from the General Information Properties (one click) or programmatically from the script.

And if you are interested, we can also tell you how to check for in-use files before you install.

So again, for the record, this is not a SetupBuilder issue at all!

Regards,

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

"point. click. ship" - that's SetupBuilder
Create Windows Vista ready installations in minutes

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner