PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the local drive from a UNC setting?

Darrel Witham
12-11-2008, 11:48 AM
We install our product’s database on a server, on the local drive ?, under the shared folder \XXX. For some reason (before my time), we required the customer to map a new drive to the local drive ?, shared folder \XXX. We have introduced some services that need to be installed on the local drive ?, shared folder \XXX. Our product's shortcut Start In folder is ‘MappedDrive’:\TTG. I can get the UNC setting but need the local drive letter and shared folder name. Is there a way to get the local drive and shared folder name from a mapped drive’s UNC setting with SetupBuilder or is there another way? The drive letters and shared folder names are arbitrary.

linder
12-12-2008, 02:37 AM
Darrel,

Good question. We can use the the "UNC From Network Drive Letter" function to convert the network drive letter to UNC format share.

For example, this converts from G: to \\server\share

But you would like to look up the UNC path for mapped drives ( e.g. convert \\server\share to G: ).

We'll check if it is possible to add a function to SetupBuilder to handle this.

Friedrich

linder
12-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Darrel,

We gave it some thoughts. Just to make sure I understood you correctly.

You would like to look up the UNC path for mapped drives ( e.g. convert \\server\share to G: ).

Friedrich

Darrel Witham
12-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Friedrich - yes that is correct - I need the fixed drive letter of the UNC setting.

Darrel