PDA

View Full Version : SetupBuilder 6.9 Dev Edition Questions

jtackabury
01-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I am currently evaluating SetupBuilder, as I need to migrate my installation packages away from InnoSetup to something that supports Unicode. I have been playing with SetupBuilder for a few days and I have a few questions (I hope this is the right place to ask these).

1. How can I get the "OS version detection" to accept Windows 7?
2. Setting ".NET Framework 2.0" as a requirement shows a messagebox at runtime that says ".NET Framework 1.0 is required for installation" - why the version discrepancy?
3. When I selected Russian it just added all the default text as English, even though Spanish, French and German all worked perfectly.
4. How do I make a checkbox to create a desktop icon?
5. How do I make a checkbox to set some registry values?

I've been very pleased with the results from SetupBuilder so far. Any help with these issues would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

linder
01-19-2009, 02:33 AM
Hello,

1. Windows 7 detection

A new SetupBuilder 6.9 maintenance build will be available later today to provide built-in support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

2. .NET Framework requirement text

You can change this in "Text and Messages" -> "Misc Errors" -> ERR_LAUNCH_CONDITION_NETFRAMEWORK text resource

3. Russian text resources

SetupBuilder Developer Edition provides built-in support for 18 languages: Afrikaans, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese ,Romanian, Slovene, and Spanish.

We have SetupBuilder users in Russia, but (unfortunately) we do not have a translated text file for the Russian language module (yet).

4. and 5. Desktop Icon checkbox

See "Additional Tasks.sb6" demo project in the Examples Package

Does this help?

Friedrich

jtackabury
01-19-2009, 07:55 AM
This is excellent, thanks. I have 2 more items that I can't seem to figure out:

1. With the checkbox dialog, if I use the text "item 1|item 2" it works fine, but if I use the text "#SB_TEST1#|#SB_TEST2#" for localized resources it doesn't work. It just shows 1 checkbox, or if I add spaces, it just shows the literal text without doing a lookup.
2. When I point SetupBuilder to my .spc and .pvk files for doing code signing I keep getting the error "Can't find file" and it indicates that it can't find the .spc file. I'm not sure what to do, the file is right there. I've been using this .spc for code signing for a 6 months now with a .bat file with no issues. I am trying to use "signtool.exe" with the Windows SDK v6.1, not the "signcode.exe" that came with SetupBuilder. According to MSDN it is recommended to use the newer "signtool.exe" with .net framework applications 2.0 and later.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9sh96ycy(VS.80).aspx

Any help with these 2 issues again would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

jtackabury
01-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Sorry, I just thought of 1 more thing after I replied. Does SetupBuilder create standard MSI installations, or are they custom like NSIS or InnoSetup? If so, what version of the Windows Installer is required?

linder
01-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Hello,

Please see:
http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7622

In the upcoming SetupBuilder 7, there will be an option to compile MSI installations from the same IDE. But please note that our own proprietary SetupScript technology is, and will continue to be, our number one priority. Most of the cool script functions are not available in MSI.

Does this help?

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

SetupBuilder "point. click. ship"
Create Windows Vista ready installations in minutes

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

linder
01-20-2009, 01:49 AM
Hello,

1. Checkbox text

You can't define multiple text resources in this field. But you can do it with a runtime variable that makes use of text resources -- I have developed a demo for you (see attached jtackabury.zip).

2. Code-sign

To code-sign your installer (or application files) with .spc and .pvk files, you have to use SignCode.exe. To use SignTool.exe, you have to convert your .spc and .pvk into a .pfx and use this instead.

Does this help?

Friedrich

jtackabury
01-20-2009, 09:25 AM
This is excellent information - thanks. I just have 1 last issue that I'm trying to sort out. I followed the guidelines in this forum post on how to download and install the .net framework:
http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9612&highlight=download+progress

The download and install works perfectly, but the Cancel button on the progress dialog doesn't do anything. I selected the "Allow progress to be canceled" option when creating the progress dialog, but it doesn't seem to work. Is it supposed to work with file downloads, and if not, what options do I have for letting people cancel the download?

Thanks!

linder
01-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Hello,

The "Cancel" button is always disabled. The "Allow installation to be cancelled" option is reserved for future use.

I just noticed that this is missing in the documentation :( It will be fixed in the next documentation update, thanks!

Friedrich

jtackabury
01-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Ok - thanks for the update. Is there any way to cancel a download that is in progress?

linder
01-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Hello,

No, not at the moment in SB6 or SB7. But I have submitted it to our suggestion database. It should not be a problem to add it (IMO).

Thanks,
Friedrich

jtackabury
01-20-2009, 10:49 AM
That's excellent. Thanks again for all of your responsive help. I'm leaning towards SetupBuilder as our replacement for InnoSetup, as it seems to meet all of our requirements. My only concern is that I would like to eventually distribute packages that use MSI for companies that want to do deployments using SMS or other deployment software, but that is a minor concern. SB6 has been easy to get up and running, and I've managed to get my SB6 project up to about 90% of our old setup's functionality. The last sticking point is the lack of a Russian translation - is there any word on when that will arrive? I see it in the official language list in SB6, but it only contains English text.

Thanks!

linder
01-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Hello,

I checked our records and I think that most (if not all) of our Russian customers are distributing to international markets or have developed their own Russian.lng language module. seal-soft.com was working on a Russian.lng module, but its status is "unknown".

Friedrich

jtackabury
01-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks again for your help. I purchased a license for SetupBuilder Developer last night, I think it will work well for us. The only 2 issues remaining are the Russian translation and the progress dialog cancel button. These are fairly minor right now, but I'm sure a customer will bring them up later. I am also eagerly awaiting SB7 to start playing around with the new MSI support. :)

Thanks!

linder
01-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Thank you for licensing SetupBuilder :)

If you are interested, I can put you on the SB7 beta list. MSI support will be part of Beta-2, Beta-1 is already available. And a new Beta-1 release is scheduled to be available by the end of this week.

Thanks again,
Friedrich

jtackabury
01-21-2009, 11:23 AM
I can wait until SB7 final gets released, I've got enough on the go right now converting my installers from InnoSetup to SB6. :)

linder
01-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Okay :)

Friedrich