PDA

View Full Version : Detecting an application running

jtackabury
01-22-2009, 07:39 AM
I am currently using "FUNCTION : Detect Active Application(program.exe)" to detect if my application is currently running before installing the new version. However, sometimes my users will download and save the setup file as "program.exe". When setup runs it detects that "program.exe" is running because the installer is running. What options do I have here? My application uses a mutex to avoid starting multiple instances, would it be possible to detect that mutex from the installer? I can't force people to name their downloaded file with a certain filename, so using "Detect Active Application" is pretty much ruled out as an option. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

linder
01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Jon,

Interesting question. We'll brainstorm it and get back to you.

Friedrich

jtackabury
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Excellent - thanks for your help.

jtackabury
01-22-2009, 11:32 AM
After thinking about this for a bit... would it be possible for "Detect Active Application" to return the path to the .exe it detects running, and compare that with the path of the installer file? I think "Detect Active Application" just returns a 1 or 0 right now though - maybe there's a different function I can use to do this?

linder
01-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Jon,

We'll add Mutex detection to the next maintenance build.

Friedrich

jtackabury
01-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Fantastic! I can't wait. :) Thanks for the quick response.

linder
01-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Thank you for your suggestion ;)

BTW, am I allowed to contact you when we have added the feature. Perhaps you can test it before we release it to the public?

Friedrich

jtackabury
01-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Absolutely - I would love to help test the feature. :)

linder
01-27-2009, 05:39 AM
Jon,

Would you please be so kind to send the AppMutex your are using in your application to our support (at) lindersoft (dot) com. We have integrated Mutex verification now and would like to compile a simple test installer.

Thanks,
Friedrich

jtackabury
01-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks - I have just sent you the information. I look forward to testing it out. :)

linder
01-28-2009, 05:35 AM
Jon,

Please see private email. I sent you a small application compiled with a new internal SB6 build. It should detect your running application.

We have added a Mutex detection option now (see attached screenshot).

Friedrich