PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated Dumb Newbie Question

shrkewin
01-22-2009, 10:15 AM
I have been using Setup Builder Version 4 for several years. Just got a new Vista laptop and had to update to the current version. My problem - I cannot get the exe specified in Run File to execute. The sb6 file successfully copies files to the desired location but the actual update routine (external vfp 9 exe file) does not start. Help, I am pulling my hair out!

linder
01-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Your can send your project to support (at) lindersoft (dot) com and we'll fix it for you.

You do not tell us what you are doing to start the executable nor where you are calling it ;)

Friedrich

linder
01-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Or perhaps the attached screenshot already gives you an idea. This will run sbuilder.exe located in the %_SB_INSTALLDIR% folder.

Friedrich

jtackabury
01-22-2009, 11:09 AM
I ran into this recently. If you are trying to run the file after an install in Windows Vista it won't run. This is because the install is (usually) running at a higher privilege than the user. There was a "fix" posted to this forum, but I don't have the link handy right now. It basically consisted of having 2 separate "final" dialogs - 1 for Vista and one for pre-Vista. The Vista dialog didn't present the option to run after install (because it doesn't work) and the pre-Vista one did.

linder
01-22-2009, 01:04 PM
No, this is not the problem :)

Your installation is running elevated under Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7. If you launch an application at the end of the installation (or during your installation), the elevated privileges are carried over to that application. But unless an application is designed to be run only by system administrators, it should always be run with the least privilege! In most cases, running an application with elevated privileges on Windows Vista platforms is discouraged. Developers would like to start the application
"non-elevated" at the end of the installation process so it can perform configurations in the context of the "original" Standard User.

There is a new topic in the NNTP newsgroup (will be automatically mirrowed to the web community later today) that announces a new feature to handle this.

To cut a long story short <g>, this "run" problem is not caused by Vista or UAC. The exe will always be executed from an elevated installer.

Friedrich

Friedrich

jtackabury
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
I found that no matter what I did the exe was never run after the installation in Vista. It worked every time in XP, but never in Vista. Eventually I just gave up because I didn't want it to run elevated anyway.

linder
01-22-2009, 01:30 PM
This should only happen if a non-elevated application tries to launch an application via CreateProcess. The CreateProcess() Windows API will always fail if a non-elevated application attempts to launch another application whose manifest requires elevation. GetLastError will return 740 (ERROR_ELEVATION_REQUIRED) in this case.

Friedrich