PDA

View Full Version : Newbie "Upgrade" Question

nlk10010
01-24-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm trying out SB and, as is I guess human nature, want to know if SB can duplicate a procedure I'm used to performing in another installer program.

I generally upgrade my customers by sending out "upgrade" full installs. This is not a "web" patch or upgrade but they get an installer EXE that will do the following: check to see if the existing "version" of my software exists on the target machine. If it doesn't, the installer will install the new version; if it does, the installer will REMOVE the old version and THEN install the new one. Just for emphasis, this is NOT a binary patch and the update process is not initiated over the Internet. My customers are just sent (or download from our site) a complete installer with the above capabilities.

Incidentally, for this purpose, for each new version I would create a NEW Program GUID but keep the OLD Upgrade GUID.

Does SB (latest version) have this capability? Am I being overly provincial in insisting on exactly duplicating my existing procedures?

Any info would be appreciated.

linder
01-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Hello,

What you do in SetupBuilder is the following:

1. Check if the product does already exist.

2. If yes, check the version number (the above function also gives you the installed version)

3. If version on target is < than new version, let the installer uninstall the previous version first -- after that, install new version.

Does this help? If you need an example project, let me know and we'll develop one for you.

Friedrich

nlk10010
01-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Hello,

What you do in SetupBuilder is the following:

1. Check if the product does already exist.

2. If yes, check the version number (the above function also gives you the installed version)

3. If version on target is < than new version, let the installer uninstall the previous version first -- after that, install new version.

Does this help? If you need an example project, let me know and we'll develop one for you.

Friedrich

Oh, OK thanks. I take it that there are provided script functions for 1, 2 and first part of 3 (i.e. function to check existence & version number and a function to do an uninstall), and I would place that logic before the main install, which is the second part of 3?

Appreciate the prompt response on a weekend. :)

nlk10010
01-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Just a quick followup: I've looked at the example project where you detect a previous version (project A, I believe) and I think I've got it pretty well figured out except for one thing......after detecting and uninstalling the old version (in the wizard loop) why do you "Exit Installation"? Can't you just continue and install the new version?

Thanks again.

linder
01-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Hello,

Of course, you can just continue. No need to terminate the install!

You can always send your project file to support (at) lindersoft (dot) com and we'll review what you have done.

Friedrich