PDA

View Full Version : Run Program command

sphair
10-05-2004, 06:53 AM
During installation, I want to install another 3rd party product. I see there is a Run Program command. But it seems this require the setup file to be part of the installation set, and be copied into the SB_INSTALLDIR. I don't want it to be installed, I just want it to be run on setup. Is this possible?

linder
10-05-2004, 06:58 AM
Hello,

No problem. Just specify the location (CD, temporary service file, already available on the target machine?) of the file to be executed.

Does this help?

sphair
10-05-2004, 09:05 AM
I tried, and accidentally wrote the wrong path. I didn't get any errors during installation. That is unfortunate.

Also, this solution isn't quite what I wanted. I want the external setup file included into the main setupfile, and run it from there.

linder
10-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Please check the _SB_ERRORCODE% variable after your call.

To include the external setup file into the main setup file please add it to the Support Files list and use:

Run Program %TMPDIR%\YourSetup.exe

Does this help?

sphair
10-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Excellent, this works like a charm using support files!

Another question: The file I want to install is a .msi file. When I run a msi file from the explorer, it just starts. If I try to launch the msi file using Run Command in SetupBuilder, I get an error 0. Now I want to try to launch it using msiexec. But Run Command requires me to set a Target Folder, but I want it to be blank, so it will find my executable using the system path.

Also, SB_ERRORCODE returns a number. Is there a similar function that returns a descriptive error message?

linder
10-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Isn't is possible to use the Run Windows Install (.msi) script item? This should work fine.

sphair
10-06-2004, 02:07 AM
Yes, just wanted to point out that you *might* want to run a program without a targetfolder...

sphair
10-06-2004, 02:29 AM
If I run the command from command prompt:
msiexec /quiet /i soapsdk.msi
It installs this MSI just fine.

Then I tried with the following:

Run Windows Installer %TMPDIR%\soapsdk.msi /quiet /i
But it won't install.

What is the difference between Start Parameter and Command Line?

Sorry for all the questions. Without documentation you have to ask here :)

linder
10-06-2004, 02:43 AM
You are right. I am working day and night on the documentation ;-)

Please add /i to the Start Parameter field.

Does this help?

sphair
10-06-2004, 03:05 AM
I wrote:
Run Windows Installer %TMPDIR%\soapsdk.msi /quiet /i

As you see, I already have a /i option specified.
It works just fine if I just add a /i, but once I add /quiet, it won't install.

linder
10-06-2004, 04:17 AM
What happens if you add /i to the Start Parameter and /qn (or /quiet) to the Command Line field?