PDA

View Full Version : Decompression error #-200

timbojones
10-25-2006, 02:39 PM
One of our users is received a decompression error during installation:

A decompression error has been detected.

File: C:\...\Thumbs.db [#-200]

Now, Thumbs.db should not be in the installer, and it will be removed in the next release. But for various reasons, we can't just push out a new installer with the file removed.

In the meantime, I'd like to figure out why this user is having trouble with this file. We've told him to try deleting it, and he said "Tried to update the main program today, but no go. I checked to see if the file was there, and it wasn't. When it appeared after failing the first time, I deleted it, tried again, and still got the error."

I cannot find anything that tells me what error -200 means. net helpmsg cannot parse a negative number. Converting it to unsigned does not help. +200 is something about a 64k code segment limit, which is not applicable to this file as far as I can tell.

What's going on here?

linder
10-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Tim,

IMO, one of his protection software applications put a temporary lock onto the file. Error -200 means the CreateFile Windows API to create a file failed. This happened after the installer checked for write access. In other words, the installer checked for write access (and returned OK; file is writable). Then the installer tried to create that file but something on the machine did not allow it (virus-scanner, spyware-scanner, etc.).

HTH,