PDA

View Full Version : Best way to perform multiple installations of same program?

jbotwood
10-15-2004, 07:37 AM
Hello,

I have an SB4 installer that will install 2 copies of the same program in a folder structure like:

[%INSTDIR%]\[%COMPANY1%]
[%INSTDIR%]\[%COMPANY2%]

The end user defines the folder names of the two installations at install time (e.g. company1 and company2 variables). I am having a go at re-doing this installer in SB5. The problems I have with this are:

I am installing 65MB of uncompressed files into each folder. This results in a very large installer executable full of duplicate files. I am hoping there is a way I can do this where I only need to include each file once but have them install to more than one location?

Once I have designed the installer, I am limited to 2 installations of my program. Ideally I would like to be able to install up to 5 parallel installations where I can define the number allowed in the installer somewhere

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks,

Jeff

linder
10-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Jeff,

What about using the "Copy Folder Tree..." script command to copy everything from [%INSTDIR%]\[%COMPANY1%] to [%INSTDIR%]\[%COMPANY2%]

During uninstall you have to use "Delete Folder Tree..." to remove the 2nd copy.

Does this help?

jbotwood
10-15-2004, 08:36 AM
Yeah, that's exactly what I need! Thanks

linder
10-15-2004, 08:39 AM
Jeff,

BTW, there will be a new beta build next week to demonstrate the "uninstall scripting" feature.

Thanks,