PDA

View Full Version : Installing Service - Interact with Desktop

Rick Martin
03-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I have a installation that creates a service. In SB in the service details I do not have the "Service can interact with desktop" box checked.

However, this box is checked in the service properties after the installation process. This is causing problems with Server based OSes (2000, 2003, 2008).

I'm using SB Dev 6.9.2516.

Any ideas? Now I have to tell my users to go uncheck that box after the installation completes.

TIA,
Rick

linder
03-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Rick,

We debugged the installer and the SERVICE_INTERACTIVE_PROCESS flag is only set at runtime if you have enabled the "Service can interact with desktop" option.

We also tested the "Service.sb6" demp project (part of the Examples Package) and it did NOT mark the "Allow service to interact with desktop" checkbox (see attached screenshot).

What do you see if you run the Service.sb6 demo project? IMO, your issue is not caused by SetupBuilder.

Friedrich

Rick Martin
03-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Friedrich,

My fault. I am using Self Service for this program and was calling it with the /iss to start the service at the end of the script. I did not realize I had the Interact with Desktop option turned on in Self Service.

Which brings up a point. Is there anyway to have Setup Builder start the service after it installs without rebooting?

Thanks,
Rick

Rick Martin
03-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi Friedrich,
I posted a response to this earlier this morning but it never appeared. Did it get eaten by the forum monster?

Anyway, I found the problem was in the SelfService settings. I had the interact box checked there and was running the service program /iss at the end of the install to start the service without rebooting.
Is there a way to automatically have SetupBuilder start the service after installing?

Thanks,
Rick

linder
03-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the update :)

What about the "Edit Service (Start Service)" script function? The Edit Service function is used for starting, stopping or removing a Windows NT/2K/XP service.

Friedrich

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

SetupBuilder "point. click. ship"
Create Windows Vista ready installations in minutes

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

linder
03-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Hi Rick,

No, not a forum monster ;) Your message was still in the approval queue...

Friedrich

Rick Martin
03-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi Friedrich,

Edit Service is just what I was looking for, thanks.
I'm still such a newbie with SetupBuilder I probably don't know 90% of what it can do.

Thanks,
Rick

linder
03-14-2009, 05:11 AM
Hi Rick,

Always ask if there is any question or problem :) We are here to help!

Friedrich