PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Updater Question

meercat
03-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Like many people here, I am struggling with the concepts and practicalities of the updating process. And like many, I am impressed with the effort that goes to helping those in need.

I too want to create an updater but when I ran the wizard to Perform the Auto Update Scan, the populated script wouldn't compile and gave me errors about Unknown Compiler Variables (these are present in my main script--in the Project Details > FTP Server section--but as these fields are blank in the updater script, I don't know where they come from). In any case, I got pissed off from wasting more time on this and wondered about another approach... (I wondered if this is because the Auto Update Scan is supposed to run on the directories that contain the actual, pre-installer files [myfile.exe] or on the directories that contain the final, post-installer files [Setup_My_App.0001]. Some clarity on this would be useful.

In any case, if I create an installer with all my version 1.2 files in it, with the instruction on each file for it to be installed only when the CRC values don't match with any existing ones, from perhaps a pre-existing 1.1 install, is it not the case that the new installer will perform an "update". And if this is so, if the Web Deploy option is used, is the installer clever enough not to download a cluster file if the CRC's of its contents match those of the installed files.

Your prompt response would be appreciated.

Regards,
Alex

linder
03-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Alex,

I fear I do not understand. What does "Auto Update Scan" have to do with compiler variables that you have in your "main" script? The main project and the web update project are completely diifferent scripts!

If the compiler can't find compiler variables then YOU are using compiler variables in the script that YOU fogot to define. Auto Update Scan does not create compiler variables at all.

And with all due respect, but where are the many people that are struggling with web update? There are quite a few thousand developers using web update without any problem. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, sorry.

Regards,

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

SetupBuilder "point. click. ship"
Create Windows Vista ready installations in minutes

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

linder
03-17-2009, 08:22 AM
And if this is so, if the Web Deploy option is used, is the installer clever enough not to download a cluster file if the CRC's of its contents match those of the installed files.

Yes.

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

meercat
03-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Using the latest version of SB. I built the latest version of the full installer script, compiled it and it built (let's call this 1.2). No problems. I then created a new Web Update Project, gave it a name, clicked Next on the "Welcome to the Web Update Creation Wizard", selected the 1.1 file of my full installer script, specified a new higher version number (1.2) and clicked Finish. A new script was created. I then went to Project > Task Automation > Perform Full Auto Update Scan, the Wizard started, I clicked Next, and I selected the folder containing the 1.1 installer files for the Previous Version Folder, and the folder containing the 1.2 installer files for the New Version Folder and clicked Next. Three files were identified and selected, I clicked Next and then Add, without changing any Additional Settings. Then OK. It said 3 items were added successfully, and there they were in the script. I saved the script and clicked Compile. Under the heading of Init Globals, it says: "(34) error GEN1019_C: Unknown compiler variable name in line: downloads/trek/[MEERCAT_RELEASE_NAME]" and the compiler aborted. I did not change any aspect of this script, but it has somehow gotten hold of the ftp information, as previously mentioned, from one of the source scripts. I would appreciate a considered answer to this issue. Also, is it correct to point the Auto Updater at the raw files or the cluster files for the comparison?

linder
03-17-2009, 08:58 AM
I would suggest to send your main and the above update projects to support (at) lindersoft (dot) com and we'll check it. Please remove the FTP password and login before sending the projects.

"Auto Update Comparison" compares two folder (trees) and can tell you the difference between the trees (added files, changed files, and added folders).

Regards,

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910