PDA

View Full Version : Remembering installation folder

jtackabury
03-26-2009, 07:35 AM
I have a number of users that install my application to a different folder than the default one. Every time they install a new version it always tries to install to the default folder, even though they previously installed to a custom folder. Is there a way to have the installer use the previously selected installation folder?

linder
03-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Hello,

Yes, absolutely no problem. If you are registering the uninstall with the Add/Remove Panel, you can use the "Detect Previous Version..." script function to find the previous installation folder. If the function succeeds, just set the default %_SB_INSTALLDIR% variable to the detected folder.

See attached screenshot and demo .sb6 project. This will detect the SetupBuilder installation folder. Just use your Product GUID in the "Detect Previous Version" function and you are done.

Does this help?

Friedrich

jtackabury
03-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks - this worked perfectly!

torrid
01-30-2011, 08:37 PM
How do I find the GUID for a prior isntall?

Detect previous version asks for that... I looked in registry and there is not an entry under our company or product name even though I have uninstall support set. There is a list of like 100 GUIDs with no name so not sure if I have to manually look thru those or what...

Anyway i understand how to use Detect previous versino but can't figure out how to get the GUID of my prior 2010 installers.

linder
01-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Hello,

In Windows, the Product GUID uniquely identifies your own product. See attached screenshot. Just check this value in your (previous) .sb7 project file.

Does this help?

Friedrich

Zippie65
02-09-2011, 10:20 PM
thanks, that helped me a lot!
regards,
chantal