PDA

View Full Version : Disable Timed-popout

Arnor
11-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Hi Friedrich,

I have just started looking at SB 5 (5.0.945) and think I have found a minor bug: I don't like the slow pop-out or roll-out of the hidden windows on the right border, so I checked the "Disable timed 'pop-out' window on the "Tools|Options" window, General tab. However, even with that checked, sometimes the window is delayed in popping out. Maybe 20% of the time it is delayed. I don't associate it with selecting specific options or anything, it's just sometimes.

BTW: Interface looks really good!

Best regards,

Arnor
11-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Hi Friedrich,

Found some more about when this happens. If I click on the "Project Explorer" _without_ moving the mouse, i.e. there is NO mouse movement between mousedown and mouseup, it slides out slowly. If I move the mouse while I click it pops out right immediately.

Best regards,

linder
11-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Hi Arnór,

Thank you :)

Hmmm..., I cannot reproduce this here (even on old Pentium I machines). Does this always happen on your machine?

If your mouse is over the Project Explorer region, it should take 0.75 seconds before your see the roll-out window. If you left-click on the region, it should display immediately.

Thank you for your time!

Friedrich

Arnor
12-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi Friedrich,

In 971 sometimes the project window slides out, sometimes it pops out. I haven't found any steps to duplicate it. It just happens sometimes.

Ok, I managed to catch this in Camtasia:

http://www.icetips.com/videos/junk/sb5-971-popout.avi

This is with the pop-out disabled, see attached screenshot.

Best regards,

Arnor
12-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Hi Friedrich,

After that little adventure, the Project Explorer window refused to come out until I closed the project and re-opened it. And now it's almost always slides out and doesn't pop out. I'm going to install SB5 on my other development machine and see if it does the same there and will report back to you.

Best regards,

Arnor
12-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Hi Friedrich,

Installed this on my other machine which is a Compaq Presario with AMD3200+ running 1280x1024, (the ther one is a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop, AMD 2400 running 1024x768) On the 3200 this happens less, but it still happens about every 10-15 times I pop up the Project Explorer.

Also: If you click on the Script Editor to bring that window up, then click the Project Explorer, the PE window shows up as it should. When you click again on the SE, the PE closes, but then the PE section slides to the right edge. Let's see if I can capture this on camera<g>

No, I can't capture it with Camtasia:( I did capture it with my camera and I uploaded the raw MPG file (6.7Mb) but it's not very clear. This happens around 5-7 seconds into it as well as the slow sliding effect of the PE. This is _not_ a high quality movie, this is shot on my digital camera, not a video camera :cool:

http://www.icetips.com/videos/junk/mov04644.mpg

Ideas for later:

1. Can the window just open/close instead of doing it's sideswipe thing at all? Something in the algorithm that controls this is not working quite 100%

2. Could the window be (optionally of course) permanently docked open?

This is not a _big_ deal, but it get's annoying to wait for the window to do it's fancy stuff again and again and again - I know it can do it by now<vbg> :D

Best regards,

linder
12-05-2004, 05:14 AM
Hi Arnór,

Hmm, looks really strange :(

linder
12-05-2004, 05:17 AM
Hi Arnór,

I cannot reproduce this here on our development machines :-( Even on our older machines it seems to work fine.

Perhaps I have to rethink this "feature" :(

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Arnor
12-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Hi Friedrich,

It's odd why it's happening here on two machines. I'm thinking about installing SB on my old Intel Celeron 1GHz (if Laila let's me<g>) and see if this could be something that is conflicting with AMD???? My 3200 is very fast in everything that I've thrown at it

Ok, I installed SB5-971 on my old 1GHz Intel Celeron machine. I get the same thing. This time the PE window slides in very slowly when it hides. It pops out about 3 times out of 4, but that 1 time out of 4 it slides out _very_ slowly. I'm talking very slow - about 4 seconds to slide in and out!!! This happens _every_ time it hides and about 1/4 times when it unhides.

Please note: I had NOT installed SB5 until I installed build 971. There has been no other SB5 install ever run on 2 of these 3 machines. Can it be that there is some registry setting or something put in by an early install that is not uninstalled and is affecting this behaviour??? On one machine I had the build before 971 I think it was or maybe two builds before.

I'm running XP-Home Edition on two of those machines and XP-Pro on one. They are _not_ running XP SP2, still all on SP1, but otherwise they are all fairly up to date.

I do not see this problem at all with the Script Editor window. That all pops up nice and fast

But when I switch between the PE and SE windows on the right hand task bar, when I switch to the SE window, there is a pause and then the SE window image slides to the right. On the 1GHz this is painfully slow sometimes.

I installed Camtasia on that machine, but Camtasia doesn't catch this sliding effects:(

Personally I think that there should be an option to completely turn the sliding effects off.

Best regards,

linder
12-06-2004, 01:26 AM
Hi Arnór,

I have completely removed the sliding effect now. I'll send you a test build later today.

Thanks again for your help!

Arnor
12-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Hi Friedrich,

Works fine now:)

However, I notice a bit of hesitation in the PE window sometimes. It could be because it is rebuilding the information tree or something. This seems to happen most when you do:

1. Switch to the Script Editor
2. Switch to the PE widnow and select User Interface|Dialogs
3. When the Dialogs window appears, click back on the PE
4. Select User Interface|BillBoards

Repeat 2,3,4 several times. It's like there is some hesitation and like I said, it is probably because the tree is being refreshed and rebuilt or something.

Idea: When the PE window is open, click again on the PE vertical panel on the right side to close it. This somehow seems logical to me and I find myself clicking again and again on the PE panel to close the PE window<g> I must have some software where I need to do this, just can't think of which one it is<bg>

Best regards,