PDA

View Full Version : Need to be able to add notes to files

ferguslogic
05-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Hello Lindersoft team,

I would like to be able to add notes to files that I have added to my setup.

This will allow everyone to record notes about why they are distributing a specific file.

Heres an example:
We are getting ready to distribute a 3rd party spell check with our application. As part of this we have to distribute MFC40.dll which we have never done before. I would like to put a note on that file that says "distributing because it is required by our 3rd party spell check". That way if i or any other developer is reviewing our setups and have a question about why we are distributing MFC40.dll we can check the notes and see the reason something is being distributed.

That would be a great feature.

thanks

linder
05-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Hello,

I fear I do not understand. Why can't you handle this with the current SetupBuilder functionality? What features are missing to handle this?

Friedrich

ferguslogic
05-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi Friedrich,

I see that you can edit notes via the script editor itself which is fine. But in actual day to day use of setupbuilder I rarely ever use the script editor. I only use it when I absolutely have to which is almost never.

I use the great user interface about 98% of the time. This is especially true when you add files to a setup. There is no reason to use the script editor to do this. The UI is very simple. I just click "Files and Folders" on the left and point to the files that I want in our setup and I'm done...very easy.

But when I add files via the UI like this If I double click a file and its details pop up there is nowhere to record notes for that file.

I would like a notes field on the file details screen so that I can record notes about the file without having to go edit script to do this.

Does that make more sense?