PDA

View Full Version : Using a Virtual Machine to run SB6 is failing!

bagofgloom
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
My Virtual Machine is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2.

SB6 was installed using "MYUSER's" credentials but I run SB6 using "USER2's" credentials because "USER2's" password never expires. Using "MYUSER's" credentials to compile an SB6 project works but if I use any users credentials besides mine I get a Fatal Compiler Error [3] "Cannot link sbkernel". The permissions for all users involved are the same and that includes across the network.

I have uninstalled the product using "MYUSER's" credentials and then reinstalled using "USER2's" credentials. I still get the same error and SB6 still works if I use "MYUSER's" credentials.

Another thing I noticed is that after the product is installed any user besides me who logs in gets an error trying to load SB6. They have to do a repair just to get SB6 to load again.

Does this mean I cannot use SB6 on a VM running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2?

linder
06-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Hello,

I assume, your VM is not set up correctly. SetupBuilder is a true mixed-mode application and works without any problem from an Admin account or Limited User (Standard User) account (including Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2).

You have to make sure that you have write and read access. Because you get a "link sbkernel" error, I assume that you don't have proper write permissions.

Hope this helps.

Friedrich

linder
06-17-2009, 10:49 AM
BTW, also make sure that your OUTPUT folder is correct (General Properties -> Project Properties -> Output Directory)

Friedrich

bagofgloom
06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
I will double check the VM machine to make sure it is setup correctly thank you.

linder
06-18-2009, 07:38 AM
I am not sure if you are on the SB7 beta list. The new SB7 beta gives more error information if sbkernel linking failed. If you are interested, send your serial number to sales (at) lindersoft (dot) com and if you have a valid subscription, you can get access to SB7.

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

SetupBuilder is Windows installation -- "point. click. ship"

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner