PDA

View Full Version : SQL Server 2008

jmcewan
07-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi,
I currently have a script to check the registry keys to see if SQL Server 2008 is already installed on the machine or not. My problem is if they wanted to install our software on the machine but the database to be on a remote machine or another computer on their LAN. Is their a way to check if a different computer than the one running the installer has SQL Server 2008 on it?

Thanks
Jonathon

michael
07-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Jonathon,

How would you do it without SetupBuilder? If you know how then perhaps we can help to convert the method to SetupScript.

Michael

jmcewan
07-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Michael,
I did not have a way to do this without setup builder. I was just hoping someone knew of a way to do this.

Thanks for the help,
Jonathon

jmcewan
07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Michael,
I have a vbscript file that will get the registry key. It uses WScript.Shell though. Does that mean my script can not be run using the Run VBScript command? Is there any other way to have SetupBuilder run the script and retrieve the output variable it produces?

Thanks again,
Jonathon

michael
07-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Jonathon,

Quick question: why do you have to use a vbscript to retrieve the value of a registry key? Why don't you use the built-in functionality of SetupBuilder to handle this?

Michael

jmcewan
07-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Michael,
What built in functionality are you referring to? The Get Registry Key functions? As far as I can tell they do not allow access to a remote computer's registry. The vbscript, however, can access the remote computer's registry. I just have no way to return the read value because I can't use SetupBuilder's Run VBScript function because the script uses WScript.Shell.

Was there a way to do this directly with one of SetupBuilder's functions?

Thanks,
Jonathon

michael
07-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Jonathon,

Yes, you are correct. Remote registry is not supported (yet). Would it be possible for you to send your vbscript to support (at) lindersoft (dot) com and I'll make sure that the development team checks it when they are back from vacation?

Michael