PDA

View Full Version : Having several issues with SB7 and SB6.

bagofgloom
08-27-2009, 11:19 AM
First issues are with SB6.

1) Under General Information's Advanced tab I have two boxes checked "Disable Windows File Protection Check" and "Backup Replaced Files". We were experimenting turning on and off a few of the boxes to see which options best fit our installation. I unchecked "Backup Replaced Files" and created the installation package. It did what it was supposed to. We decided we would keep that option so I turned it back on. Since then the Backup feature has not worked. I also unchecked "Remove UnInstaller After Successful Installation" same issue. Checked or Unchecked it always install as if it is Unchecked. In the uninstall case it only has the log file in my Program Directory no log exe. Not sure what I have changed that could be causing this issue.

2) When the backup was working it was not backing up all the replaced files. It would get through the bin folder and just stop. Not sure if this is related to the above issue.

3) If the backup is only used to Rollback on a failed installation then I would like to delete the Backup folder once the installation finishes. I am not sure where the best place is to put the folder delete.

SB7 issue is with the Run Program Finish Dialog tab. The checkbox is not showing up.

linder
08-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Hello,

Without seeing your project, I can't tell you what you have done that broke your script logic. I assume you have removed the backup folder.

I have attached a simple project for you. Backup replaced files works fine (run the compiled installer several times and you'll see that readme.rtf is in the BACKUP folder). Run at Finish checkbox also works fine (it will ShellExecute the readme.rtf file in this case).

Does this help?

BTW, I am sure it was not your intention to enable "Remove UnInstaller After Successful Installation". This will do what it says -- remove the uninstall.exe after a successful installation. Why do you need this in a standard installation?

I have not opened a ticket because (IMO) nothing of the above is caused by a bug or is an issue in SetupBuilder.

Friedrich

linder
08-28-2009, 02:40 AM
Attached are two screenshots (backup folder is there, uninstall is there, Run checkbox is there and fully functional).

Works fine in SB6 and SB7.

Friedrich

bagofgloom
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I believe in my previous post I stated that "Remove UnInstaller After Successful Installation" did exactly what it was supposed to do when it was checked. It was not doing what it was supposed to do when unchecked. We do not need to "Remove UnInstaller After Successful Installation" we were simply experimenting with the check boxes. From my screen shots you can see I do not have "Remove UnInstaller After Successful Installation" checked it has only be checked once during our experimenting. I have no problem sending my SetupBuilder projects. If this is the backup code it has not been removed.

%_SB_BACKUPDIR% holds the path that all backup files will be copied to when overwritten

Set Variable %_SB_BACKUPDIR% to %_SB_INSTALLDIR%\BACKUP

In my SetupBuilder project the checkbox does not change the script code at all. It does not remove the backup code when it is unchecked.

linder
08-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Hello,

Yes, if you are interested, you can send your project to support (at) lindersoft (dot) com and we'll review your code.

Friedrich

linder
08-29-2009, 03:04 AM
Hello,

Thanks for sending the .sb6 and .sb7 projects.

See attached screenshot. In Line 252 you create the uninstall .log and .exe, and in Line 273 you delete both. Fix this and you are done.

Does this help?

BTW, great script. But there is another logic problem in your projects. All the functions in your Loop Wizard are executed several times (for each and every dialog displayed). Why do you handle all this inside the Wizard Loop? I would suggest to process it after the "Ready to Install" dialog.

Friedrich

linder
08-29-2009, 05:19 AM
And with regards to your RUN issue. You have an IF Statement around your Run function (see attached screenshot). So the "Run TraxView Beta" option is only displayed if the $SB_RESTARTFLAG$ installer flag is set. But as far as I can see from your .sb7 project, you do not have that installer flag set. And I assume your intention was to display it if no reboot is pending ("Does Not Equal" instead of "Equals").

Does this help?

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

SetupBuilder is Windows installation -- "point. click. ship"

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

bagofgloom
08-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Removing line 273 fixed my problem that should not have been there. Defeats the purpose of deleting specific files if I follow it up with a delete all. Correcting the if statement to Does Not Equal fixed my other issue. Thanks not sure how I missed both of those.

Regarding your suggestion on processing my functions outside the loop wizard. "I would suggest to process it after the "Ready to Install" dialog." Would this be considered the Install Files section or should I keep track of which loop I am on and then process my logic when I reach "Ready to Install"?

Thanks again they were all my issues.

linder
09-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Hello,

Please note that, whatever you have in your Loop Wizard, is executed for each and every dialog displayed (Next pressed).

For example, you have this:

Loop Wizard (Abort Dialog Active)
Set Variable %DOTNET35% to FUNCTION:Get Registry Key Value("SP") from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5\"

The Set Variable statement (and all the other functions) are (at least) executed 4 times in your script. I assume this is not what you are trying to do.

As far as I can see, there is nothing in your script logic that requires interaction with the dialogs.

There are some very interesting examples in the SB7 Examples Packages (and the Learning SetupBuilder manual) that describe the dialog functionality.

Does this help?

Friedrich

bagofgloom
09-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks that answers all of my questions.

linder
09-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Great! You are very welcome.

Friedrich