PDA

View Full Version : Error running wupdate from VS2008 debug

Larry Teames
09-30-2009, 09:55 AM
I am trying to implement the iDeploy functionality for an app. I am developing with VS2008, and have placed the appropriately generated wupdate.exe in the folder the app runs from when debugging. When I debug that app via VS (e.g. press F5) it finds the wupdate.exe file, but fails (returns -1) with the following message:

Web Update
"The Web Update client could not locate as associated application to update. Please make sure that this software is installed properly."

What is the problem it is reporting, and how do I set things up so that I can debug my apps web update code?

TIA,

Larry

linder
09-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Larry,

By default, wupdate.exe scans the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Lindersoft\WebUpdate\A ppPaths registry key to detect your application.

"The Web Update client could not locate as associated application to update. Please make sure that this software is installed properly." is reported if the path where wupdate.exe is located in is not listed in the above registry key ("Name" Value).

You can't just "place" wupdate.exe in a folder to get it to work. You have to correctly "initialize" it (e.g. by using the "Install Web Update Client" option in the Web Deployment Visualizer.

For example:
http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9459

Does this help?

Friedrich

Larry Teames
09-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Fredrich:

Okay, I've created a regkey for the debug path, and gave it the same value as the one for the production path (plus copied the wupdate.exe to the debug path), and it appears to work as expected now.

Thanks for the help.

Larry