PDA

View Full Version : Unable to find Clarion installation

Larry Teames
03-28-2007, 04:43 PM
I have a report from a user who is running my install under Vista, who gets no Clarion version showing when the install displays the "Select Clarion Version" dialog. The user swears that he has even reinstalled C6.3 and patched up to #9055, and that the Clarion environment compiles and executes app just fine. What does SB6 look for to determine Clarion presence? The win.ini this user sent me looks okay to me:
[Clarion 6.0 Enterprise Edition]
bin=BIN\
workdir=C:\CLARION6\BIN\
root=C:\CLARION6\
exename=C60EE

linder
03-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Larry,

Welcome to Vista ;-) Exactly that happens when a "legacy" installer does something on Vista.

The Clarion 6 installer does not request administrator execution level privileges. That means, it is impossible to write anything to the Windows folder. So redirection kicks in and writes the Clarion INI values to a "private" win.ini. In other words, the entries are not really in the win.ini. It only "looks" OK.

Your installer is correct.

Does this help?

Friedrich

Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

"point. click. ship" - that's SetupBuilder 6
Create Windows Vista ready installations in minutes

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

linder
03-29-2007, 12:24 AM
LArry,

BTW, of course, your installer is only correct if you are using a Vista-aware installer and you request administrator execution level privileges!

Friedrich

Larry Teames
03-29-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm using SB6 #1750. Is it not Vista aware? Given what you've explained wrt a private win.ini, shouldn't the Clarion Detection item be modified to also look for the info where it would be for the currently logged in user, and for all users, when running under Vista?

One of my reasons for upgrading was for Vista support, but the current implementation seems quite unpredictable wrt the Clarion related items when running under Vista.

linder
03-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Larry,

Your installer is Vista-aware. But not the installer that installed Clarion 6 ;-)

So no way to write to the Windows folder (including win.ini) under Vista.

That's why your Vista-aware installer does not find CLarion 6. Because it is not in the real win.ini.

Do you see what I mean?

Friedrich

linder
03-29-2007, 10:26 AM
BTW, what you suggested with regard to the "current user" under Vista is NOT possible.

Friedrich

linder
03-30-2007, 10:27 AM
The following should help:

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2127

Friedrich