PDA

View Full Version : Create service fails on Windows 2000

oeb
11-24-2009, 02:16 AM
The "create service" function works fine on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 - but it fails on Windows 2000. Is this a known issue and is there a workaround?

linder
11-24-2009, 03:59 AM
Hello,

Installing services works fine on Windows 2000. See attached screenshot. The SetupBuilder installer handles services without any problem (this is from the Service demo project) on Win2000.

Hope this helps.

Friedrich

oeb
11-24-2009, 04:30 AM
Okay, thanks. I will try again.

In addition I've found that a restart is required in order to make Windows 2000 fully aware of changes to the system path. The error message actually shows that our folder has been added, but I still have to reboot to get the program running.

Actually I believe these problems are related. The service fails to install because Windows can't find all required DLLs. Is there any way to avoid a reboot - and if that is the only solution [with Windows 2000, this works fine on other OSes] - could I handle this through SB?

oeb
11-26-2009, 07:06 AM
It turned out that just before it creates the service the setupbuilder project adds some Firewall settings. This caused the setup to stop/ crash on Windows 2000 at that point so it never reached the service installation. Obviously there is no Windows firewall on Win2000, but I assumed SB would handle this internally. I have now added a Windows version check and it runs fine. However, it still seems I need to reboot in order to start the service since it depends on DLLs being available in path and for some reason it doesn't detect these changes without a reboot. Could the Firewall issue also be a problem on the earliest releases of Windows XP (i.e. pre-SP2)?

linder
11-26-2009, 07:27 AM
Hello,

We checked the source codes and the firewall component is only loaded on XP and better, but the function call is done even on Win2000. This seems to result in a stack corruption and "X has generated errors and will be closed by Windows" error is reported on Win2k. I assume this can also cause problems on pre-XPSP2 machines.

We'll fix this in the next maintenance release. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Friedrich

linder
11-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Fixed in the latest internal source codes now, thank you.

FIX : [SB#911261] Installer: Possible installer stack corruption when
using the Windows Firewall Exception script function on a
Windows operating system that does not support the Windows
Firewall.

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

SetupBuilder is Windows 7 installation -- "point. click. ship"

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

oeb