PDA

View Full Version : A decompression error has occurred, installing on Windows Vista [#200]

MikeWilson
04-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Dear all,

Does anyone have any experience of deploying to Windows Vista using SetupBuilder 6?

During QA, I notice an error on some of our machines - "A decompression error has occurred". The file in question is a VB6 armadillo protected .dll which is NOT associated with our app (we ship another one that this, this one just snuck in somewhere in our build process). Nevertheless, it still stops our production installation from working on some Vista machines.

What does this error mean, and can anyone suggest what steps I should take next to identify the cause of the error and how to resolve it?

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Unregistered
04-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Dear all,

Does anyone have any experience of deploying to Windows Vista using SetupBuilder 6?

During QA, I notice an error on some of our machines - "A decompression error has occurred". The file in question is a VB6 armadillo protected .dll which is NOT associated with our app (we ship another one that this, this one just snuck in somewhere in our build process). Nevertheless, it still stops our production installation from working on some Vista machines.

What does this error mean, and can anyone suggest what steps I should take next to identify the cause of the error and how to resolve it?

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike,

We have released a software update only for Vista users (went out to 1,200 customers) and it worked without any problem. The installation (90 MB) is complex and installs about 450 files.

Peter

linder
04-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Mike,

I assume you are getting a -200 error code? This is not a Vista specific error.

Error -200 means that the CreateFile() Windows API returns an INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE error code.

"Something" (virus or spyware scanner, etc.) does not allow CreateFile to succeed.

BTW, do you install that file into the System32 folder? If this is the case, does your installer requests administrator execution level?

Friedrich

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

"point. click. ship" - that's SetupBuilder 6
Create Windows Vista ready installations in minutes

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

MikeWilson
04-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Thank you, Peter and Friedrich,

It is possible that the file was already in use somewhere on the system, I am able to reproduce the 'fault' - but it doesn't happen on all machines, just a couple.

The installer doesn't require administrative priviledges, but the user has them anyway.

Before I test again, what would be the default behaviour of SetupBuilder - if told to deploy, say a test file and that file was held open by another process? Would it produce the same -200 error, or would the error be different?

The failing file is a non-essential - I can work around it I think.. but so far less than 5% of our customers are running Vista and I know SB6.5 is just around the corner in any case :)

Many thanks,

Mike

linder
04-17-2007, 07:52 AM
Mike,

Thanks for sending the script. You have to request administrator execution level privileges for an installer under Vista. But you request "asInvoker" privileges ;)

Change this in your General Properties, recompile and you are done :)

Friedrich