PDA

View Full Version : Check a value from a webpage

Riamus
12-27-2009, 05:01 PM
As part of my installation, I need to download a file from a site as a pre-install to my installation. However, the filename to download changes based on the version of the file (the version number is part of the filename). How would I check the webpage to get the version number to insert into the filename to download? Basically, the version will appear on a webpage and I have to be able to grab that, remove the dot from the version, and append it to the filename.

Example: Version is 1.47

Remove the .: 147
Append to filename: file147.exe
Set as variable and then download, run, delete. <-- this I know how to do

I know how to parse a webpage using sockets, but I have no idea how to do so from this. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

linder
12-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Hello,

What you can do is to write your own DLL that handles such a "webpage parsing" and call it from the installer.

Does this help?

Friedrich

Riamus
12-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I kind of thought I might have to do that. Now I just have to find someone who can make the DLL since I don't have a compiler and don't know how anyhow. Thanks.

linder
12-31-2009, 01:24 AM
Hello,

Do you have such a typical web page .htm with version number available? If yes, you can send it to us (support [at] lindersoft [dot] com) and we'll play with it. Not sure if we have a solution, but we'll try it (non-DLL solution).

Friedrich

Riamus
12-31-2009, 04:18 AM
Thanks! I've sent it out. I'll be trying to find someone to help with a DLL method as well, so if it's not something you can figure out there, that's okay. I appreciate the help.