PDA

View Full Version : Languages with different character sets on the same system

Acrklor
05-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Is it possible to show languages with different character sets on the same operating system?
For example bulgarian has cyrillic and german latin-1 character set. I want to include both languages in one setup and the bulgarian displayed correct on a german system. In my test setup every bulgarian character was displayed with the latin-1 characters. Of course, it is displayed correct on a bulgarian system.

Is there a way to do that with the SetupBuilder?

linder
05-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Hello,

Good question. I think this is only possible if the specific Windows XP
Professional Language Interface Pack is installed.

For example, it looks like the following on a German machine if the Bulgarian Language Pack is active. It displayed with the latin-1 characters if it is not active.

Does this help?

Friedrich

linder
05-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Hello,

We have tested this again (see screenshot). This German test machine has the Bulgarian language pack installed. The default language is German.

Does this help?

Friedrich

Acrklor
05-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks for your response and the idea with the Interface Pack.

Unfortunately with this package the default character set for this Windows will be cyrillic. Therefore the german screenshot is also displayed cyrillic. German takes most characters from the ASCII (lower 128 characters) and only four characters from the upper 128, in this case the cyrillic.
In the screenshot it is just one in the sentence "Es wird ausdrXcklich" where the "X" stands for the cyrillic character.

I think the setup program would have to display every piece of text in the font with the right character set for each language, so it is shown correct on every system language. At least this is the only thing (besides unicode of course) that I found and works for our software (we want to install ;)).

But I guess the SetupBuilder doesn't do that (yet).

Thanks anyway
Severin

linder
05-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Severin,

You have sharp eyes ;-) I did not notice the "Es wird ausdrXcklich" problem!

I will see if there is a solution available...

Thanks,
Friedrich