PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling application

glewis64
01-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Good morning,

I have run into a challenge.

I am attempting to test for the presence of and uninstall a program in my setup.

I can successfully detect the previous version via GUID and if it exists, I then can successfully get the UninstallString from the registry into a variable and can successfully Run Command Line specifying that variable.

My problem is that the company that installed the application with an UninstallString = MsiExec.exe /I{GUID}. This launches a "Repair/Remove" instead of a "Remove". I can successfully run MsiExec.exe /X{GUID} manually form the command line. However, if I try to Run Command Line specifying MsiExec.exe /X{GUID}, the installation hangs and I have to cancel it from Task Manager.

What am I doing wrong. Seems weird that Run Command Line can successfully run an MsiExec command contained in a variable, but can't if the MsiExed command is entered directly in the Run Command.

Thank you for your help.

linder
01-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Hello,

We are using the following in all Consulting projects that move from .msi to .exe to uninstall the MSI product:

Run Command Line msiexec.exe /qn /x {GUID} [Wait]

Does this help?

BTW, this is an interesting success story where MSI uninstall is launched from the installer:

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19918

Works like a charm :)

Friedrich

glewis64
01-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Got it ... Thank you.

The /qn was the trick. Must not work with the full msi user interface.