PDA

View Full Version : web update and 3rd party patch tool

markwa
06-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Hello Friedrich,

I love SB's web update feature! But it doesn't love a 3rd party patch tool I was using, EasyPatch 2001.

I first started using SB for version 2.1 of my product. I'm now at version 2.1.2, and web update works great for all possible update paths: 2.1 to 2.1.2; 2.1.1 to 2.1.2; and 2.1 to 2.1.1 to 2.1.2.

There's a problem, though, for users who arrived at version 2.1 of my product via prior patches, such as 2.0.4 to 2.1, that were managed by EasyPatch 2001. The file bits created by EasyPatch 2001 are apparently somewhat different from the "fresh" version of 2.1. So, SB's web update rejects this variant of the 2.1 with a message: "Could not start the automatic update(2)."

So, I thought I could solve this problem setting up an extra web update that goes from the above patched variant of 2.1 to the latest 2.1.2 version. But that didn't work. I got the same error message.

For now, I'm telling users that if they had arrived at 2.1 via prior patches, they'll have to completely redownload the latest version (2.1.2).

This issue is not worth a big investment of time on your or my part. However, do you think there is a way to support web updates from the EasyPatched variant of the 2.1 'from' file?

Cheers
-- Mark

linder
06-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Hi Mark,

Do you know where the message "Could not start the automatic update(2)." comes from? This is not a (built-in) SetupBuilder web update message.

Thanks,
Friedrich