PDA

View Full Version : Can I get the version number from a file?

Unregistered
06-12-2007, 03:50 AM
I am writing an installer to install anumber of files including, say, xxx.exe

I can get the file version number from xxx.exe, but can i set the version number of the installer to match?

David Webber

linder
06-12-2007, 04:19 AM
David,

There is a difference between "project compile-time" and "installer run-time" actions.

When you say you can "get the file version number from xxx.exe", is this at compile-time (e.g. you run your own external program from the script to get the version number)?

Friedrich

Unregistered
06-12-2007, 04:32 AM
David,

There is a difference between "project compile-time" and "installer run-time" actions.

When you say you can "get the file version number from xxx.exe", is this at compile-time (e.g. you run your own external program from the script to get the version number)?

Friedrich

I am using the "GetFileInformation" function from the file in my [SB_PROJECT] tree. I suspect this is not happening at compile time, though the information is there in principle at compile time. (It gets stored in a normal variable and not a compiler variable.)

Dave

linder
06-12-2007, 04:42 AM
Dave,

You are right. This is not happening at compile time but at installer run time!

What you can do is to execute your own external service .exe from the script. Your exe can read the version info from xxx.exe and write it into, say an INI file. Then use the method demonstrated in the "Read Constant from INI.sb6" example script to read the value. You can use this to set your installer version number.

BTW, of course, you can use SetupBuilder to write that .exe service file (two lines of script code).

If you need a demo, just let me know and we'll develop one for you.

Friedrich

David Webber
06-20-2007, 01:50 AM
Dave,

You are right. This is not happening at compile time but at installer run time!

What you can do is to execute your own external service .exe from the script. Your exe can read the version info from xxx.exe and write it into, say an INI file. Then use the method demonstrated in the "Read Constant from INI.sb6" example script to read the value. You can use this to set your installer version number.

BTW, of course, you can use SetupBuilder to write that .exe service file (two lines of script code).

If you need a demo, just let me know and we'll develop one for you.

Friedrich

Got distracted and forgot to say thanks for this - I'll explore it.

Dave

timbojones
06-22-2007, 09:11 PM
It would be a very cool feature if the SB version field could reference one of the files in the installation, and automatically get the installer version number from the version resource of that file.

linder
06-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Tim,

It's on the drawing board now, thank you.

Friedrich