PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for better FTP support

Doug I
06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi,

A few weeks back I had reported some erradic success when it came to post-compile FTP of my install files. It had been going on for over a year, and I never realized how often the FTP process was failing until recently.

I think I now have some more info that might help explain why I am able to FTP successfully 99% of the time using an FTP client like FTP Voyager versus having SetupBuilder doing the FTP of the installation files internally.

Using SB, my much larger FTP uploads seem to fail about 30% of the time (and I have high-speed DSL, but it is still about a 30-45 minute transmission).
These failed FTP's have become a big problem for me since the FTP failures are not reported in a way that my automated batch files can report this problem to me when I check it after an overnight batch process.

As a result of this, I started to do some manual FTP sending of my larger files with a popular FTP client and also noticed that about 30% of the time a socket error would occur during the transmission.

However, the FTP client immediately renegotiates back with the server and resumes the upload process where it left off automatically.

This explains a lot to me. My guess is that SB is also encountering occassional hiccups in the transmission but is not bothering to reestablish and continue the process once a failed packet attempt occurs.

So my suggestion is obvious from the above comments... improve the FTP process such that it can resume file uploads versus aborting immediately on the first communication error encountered.

I really like using SB to handle everything and this recent development has had me go back to manually placing my install files on the web. Not fun. :(

linder
06-16-2007, 03:17 AM
Doug,

The FTP feature in the IDE makes use of WinInet (in fact, it's only one function call). So there is absolutely nothing we can do here if the built-in Windows API fails :-(

But you can call from your script into your farvorite FTP client without any problem.

HTH,
Friedrich

Doug I
06-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi,

I have no idea whether or not Wininet supports recovery of failed FTP uploads. If it doesn't and that is what SB is relying on exclusively, then I guess I will have to gave back to calling out to another FTP tool for the upload process.

Thanks for the info.

Doug