PDA

View Full Version : Creating a shortcut to an Install on a network path

jgamalinda
05-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Hi,

Is there a way to create a second SB file that just creates a shortcut to an existing install that exists on a network path? I'm trying to create a setup file that will either detect or ask the user to select the location of a "network" install and have SB create a shortcut that runs the .exe file off of that path. In other words trying to create a file that puts a shortcut that just runs the .exe file from a server without having to have the program installed locally.

Sorry if I sound confusing.

linder
05-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Absolutely no problem. Just display a dialog that allows to select the location of a "network" install and store the value in a variable. Then use that variable (points to the network location) in your Shortcut(s).

You can even use the same setup.exe to do a client and server install. For example, display "Server Install" and "Client Install" radio buttons and based on the selection, install the files for a server install (and no shorcuts) or install only the shortcuts to the .exe located on the server.

Does this help?

Friedrich

jgamalinda
05-17-2010, 11:43 AM
I understand the concept but do you buy any chance have an example or screenshot of the script editor with this type of code?

Thanks for all your help!!!

linder
05-18-2010, 12:01 AM
We can develop such an example for you if you want. It's very simple.

But did you already download the Example Package which comes with tons of source code projects and the excellent "Learning SetupBuilder Part I"?

Friedrich