PDA

View Full Version : New Vista laptop will not update from SB6.0.1750

griffo
06-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi Friedrich and team

I got a new laptop about 6 weeks ago and have successfully installed SB6.0.1750 Developer onto it.

But I cannot get it to update itself. Nor can I get it to check for Help updates.

I can connect to the net OK, as I am using the laptop to send this msg.

I was prompted by McAffe Security on this laptop to "Allow wupdate" to access the web, and clicked OK. Still no joy.

Any suggestions?

p.s. Desktop updates itself OK.

John Griffiths

linder
06-25-2007, 11:56 PM
John,

Two possible reasons:

1. Your firewall or other protection software blocks communication to our server.

2. You are running as a Standard User under Vista and so the IDE does not request administrator execution level privileges (because it is a true mixed-mode application). In this case, the Windows WinSock core component does not allow you to access the Internet.

The latest SetupBuilder 6.5 always requests administrator execution level privileges for web updates now. If you are sure it is not caused by 1) then I would suggest to download and install the full SB65 install image.

Does this help?

Friedrich

griffo
06-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Friedrich

I have been logging in as an administrator (within Vista limitations :mad: :mad: ) Even when I relaxed my rotten McAfee it would still not connect for update.
Gotta replace that net/virus protection software soon.

I have just now updated with full version as you suggested and the problem has gone away. :)

Thanks again.
John

linder
06-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi John,

Future web updates should work fine (even for Standard Users) because the version 6.5 web update client always requests administrator execution level privileges.

Friedrich