PDA

View Full Version : Conditional .msi execution?

Unregistered
03-28-2004, 04:22 AM
Hi,

I would like to execute a .msi (Windows Installer) based on the installed Windows Installer Runtime.

Something like the following:

if msi_runtime = 1.2 then execute msi120.msi
elseif msi_runtime = 2.0 then execute msi200.msi
else message "you don't have a valid Windows Installer Runtime available

Is this possible with SB5? If yes, what's the overhead of this "wrapper" method?

Unregistered
03-28-2004, 05:26 AM
Forgot the following:

1.) Can we create a single setup.exe (both .msi files are included in the executable)?

2.) If SB5 can do the job, can I buy now for $199.95 and get SB5 free? Or do I have to pay another $49.95 to get version 5 (not a problem for us, btw)?

3.) Because SB5 beta is not available yet, can I send you my .msi files and you create the (simple) installer for us?

Thanks again!

linder
03-28-2004, 06:36 AM
Yes, SB5 can compile such a "wrapper" without any problem. Because you don't need any wizard interface nor an uninstaller system, the overhead will be around 80 KB.

The script to handle this would look like the following:

! Include your .msi files
Include Support File msi120.msi
Include Support File msi200.msi

! Get Windows Installer Runtime version
Set Variable %MSIVER% to SystemInfo(Windows Installer Version)

! Extract major version number
Set Variable %MSIVER% to Extract Major Number(%MSIVER%)

If %MSIVER% Equals "1" Then
Run Windows Installer %TMPDIR%\msi120.msi
ElsIf %MSIVER% Equals "2" Then
Run Windows Installer %TMPDIR%\msi200.msi
Else
Display Message Box "You don't have a valid Windows Installer Runtime available!"
End

If you buy SetupBuilder 4 Standard now (for $199.95) you'll get a free upgrade to SB5 when released.

BTW, we can compile this simple installer for you. After ordering, please send your .msi files to sb5@lindersoft.com

Unregistered
03-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Thank you! It works perfect!!!!!!!!

Unregistered
03-28-2004, 11:57 PM
By the way, the single-file setup.exe (includes both .msi files) is now about 70% smaller than the original .msi files. I can send it through email now (saves a few thousand dollars).

Thanks again!