PDA

View Full Version : wupdate doesn't update anymore.

Modest Automatisering BV
07-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Since the latest project update the wupdate function doesn't update anymore. Don't know where to start looking.

Usually we simply recomplile the project from the default release folder, we make the version number higher and off the customers go....

This time i must oversee something stupid or this time we simply have become stupid...

Friedrich.. Help! :)

Best regards,

Mark Pronk
Modest Automatisering BV

linder
07-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Hi Mark,

Nothing changed in the wupdate feature. Did you upload the new manifest file (with the higher version number) to your web server? When you say "doesn't update": does wupdate report that there is no new version available or do you get an error code?

Friedrich

Modest Automatisering BV
07-12-2010, 02:19 AM
Hi Friedrich,

Thanks for the swift response!

We didn't do anything we normally wouldn't do, so i was a tad worried.

Wupdate says there's no newer version available.

The manifest file is auto-uploaded (i hope) during the FTP upload session, only thing we change is the contents of the source folder (our "release" folder) and the version number.

I've updated SB7 today, will try to make a new release with a new release number (last 6 digits of the version is always releasedate in our situation).

Will post back later!

Thanks Friedrich!

Mark

linder
07-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Hi Mark,

If it says "no update available" then it's definitely not caused by a network issue (otherwise we would see a communication error code). I think it's something with the "version" identifier (in your initial install or the web update or the uploaded manifest).

Friedrich

Modest Automatisering BV
07-12-2010, 02:43 AM
Is there any control over the client side then Friedrich? Can we influence the version number some way or another? Where does it store the version number anyway?

Our own test-installation didn't even update, neither did the installations @ around 150 end-users.

Have another question about making MSI's but i'll post that in another tread to keep this tidy.

Building a new release now... I'll post back later...

linder
07-12-2010, 02:55 AM
Mark,

By default, the version is stored in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Lindersoft\WebUpdate\A pps\<YOURPRODUCTGUID> -> LOCAL_VERSION

The version format in Windows is AA.BB.CCCC.DDDD, where AA is the major version, BB is the minor version, CCCC is the build version, and DDDD

BTW, here is a link to a EXE2MSI posting:

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21942&highlight=msi

If you need more links, just let me know.

Friedrich