PDA

View Full Version : .NET 2.0 Installer Funkiness

DBoynton
07-11-2007, 08:23 AM
All,

I recently built an installer that uses the .NET 2.0 core prerequisite. Everything works fine from a functional standpoint. However, the small dialog that appears on the screen during the .NET Framework installation gets greyed out, so you can't really see what is going on. In fact, it looks like the installer has hung.

Is there anything that can be done to keep this from happening? I think this is happening because the .NET installer is single-threaded and, since everything is running on the main thread, it can't repaint the dialog.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Denny

linder
07-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Denny,

I can reproduce the problem. You are right - it seems to be a thread/repaint problem. Item in review now.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Friedrich

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

"point. click. ship" - that's SetupBuilder 6.5
Create Windows Vista ready installations in minutes

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

dboynton
07-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, Friedrich. This issue is actually holding up a deployment. What is your normal process for addressing issues like this?

TIA

Denny

linder
07-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Denny,

I think we have to develop a special workaround for this issue (and have the "wait dialog" on its own thread so it can receive repaint messages).

You can post issues like this here on the forum so others can benefit from it.

Of course, you can also contact our Support at support (at) lindersoft (dot) com

Friedrich

dboynton
07-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Friedrich,

It's the workaround in which I'm interested. Would you see this being rolled into a future release of the product, or a patch that would be able to download?

I'm only asking because we're in a holding pattern on launching our commercial product until we can resolve this issue. I really like SetupBuilder (a lot), but might need to consider another product to meet my company's timeline. If you think this will be a quick turnaround solution, I can convince them to wait.

And I prefer the forums for sure. I'll all about spreading the info around. :)

Thanks,
Denny

linder
07-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Denny,

Thank you for your kind words :)

This will be part of a bugfix and we are already working on it (ticket SB#707112).

What's your deadline for the product deployment?

Thanks,
Friedrich

dboynton
07-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Friedrich,

You're welcome. I'm always happy to compliment well written software.

Our original launch date was last Saturday. There were some other organizational issues that delayed the launch then. I think we are at a point where what we have is "good enough," but it is certainly causing some constrenation amongst my collegues that we may get a high abandon rate on our software because the user thinks the installation is hung.

If were' talking about a week or less for the bug fix, I think I can sell that. If you think it will more like a month, then I may have to try something else.

Again, thanks for your quick replies. These are really helping me out today!

Denny

linder
07-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Denny,

Well, when I am talking about bug fixes then I am talking in terms of hours, not weeks or months <vbg>. Software installations are too critical to your business, so bug fixing is our #1 priority.

I hope we'll have an internal solution available within the next 48 hours.

If you are interested, please send your email address to support (at) lindersoft (dot) com and we'll send you more information when available.

Friedrich

dboynton
07-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Friedrich,

Outstanding. Forty-eight hours would be ideal. I will send an email to the support address and reference the ticket number.

Thanks again. You just made my day. :)

Denny

linder
07-11-2007, 10:42 AM
:)

Friedrich