PDA

View Full Version : Are Duplicate Files Included Twice?

Peter Gysegem
09-14-2010, 05:40 PM
I have multiple "Features" in a setup, each of which corresponds to an executable. These executables use some or all of the dlls defined in my project. If I specify the same dll file in the Files and Folders for two of my Features, does the setup program contain two copies of that dll file or only one? And if installing both features, does the dll file get installed twice?

linder
09-15-2010, 01:29 AM
Hi Peter,

Remarks

Never use the Install File(s) script function in a Loop.

When installing fonts files we suggest to set the Replacement Option to Never.

When using the Install File(s) statement on the same source twice, the files are compressed twice into the installation package (making it twice as large).

In your specific case, if you install both Features, then the file get installed twice. But (IMO) you should "redesign" your install logic to prevent this behaviour.

Friedrich

Peter Gysegem
09-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks Friedrich,

I don't understand your reference to fonts, that's not something that concerns me at the moment. Also I would never install files in a loop, that just seems to be asking for problems.

Yes, I know I can redesign the install so the dlls get compressed and installed only once but I couldn't tell from the documentation if this was done automatically or not. It made more sense to ask first before I did the work of changing the install. With your information, I now know what I have to do.

Thanks again.

linder
09-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Hi Peter,

This was a "copy and paste" from the "Install File(s)..." documentation Remarks section. That's why it included the additional Loop and Font information ;)

Always ask if there is any question or problem. The positive site effect is that other developers can learn from it and we receive feedback on how to improve our documentation and learning materials (or change/enhance the installation system itself).

Thanks,
Friedrich