PDA

View Full Version : Version Control

Vikram
09-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi Everyone,

I don't know is this a correctway to question or not ? But I am very nw in this field and with this SB7 as well. We are using this for creating setup file for out program. Not I am just confused in version control. Is it possible with SB7 ?

I mean for example is my program is running in my client's system and when I release the new version then it autometically display that new version available and update the version. If it is not possible then please some let me know what I need for that? We are using VB6 and MSACCESS for program.

Thanks
Vikram

linder
09-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Vikram,

Yes, web update is supported in SetupBuilder Developer Edition.

Here is a link to an example project:
http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9459

Does this help?

Friedrich

Vikram
09-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi
Yes this helps lot. If I will have any question then i will come back. You guys reply so soon........
Thanks
Vikram:)

Vikram
09-22-2010, 09:11 PM
hi
I got you mean and how to do the autometic web updates. But, I just stuck at where to upload menifest file ? and which menifest I need to upload to there. I mean previous version or current version ? If you can then please help me ...

Thanks
Vikram:confused:

linder
09-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Vikram,

See "Step 4" in "HOWTO: Add live Internet version updating to my program".

You define the web server address and the manifest file name in the "iDeploy Web Update" properties. If your server name is "www.vikram.com" and you would like to have the web update files located in a "my_web_updates" subfolder then you specify "www.vikram.com" as Host Address and "my_web_updates" as Host Directory. The manifest file stores the latest version information and you define the manifest name in the "Server Manifest File" field.

When you compile a web update (or web install), the compiler creates a "Web" project subfolder on your machine and you only have to upload all files from that folder to your web server. That's it :)

Hope this helps.

Friedrich

Vikram
09-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Dear Friedrich,

sorry to ask you simple questions but I was following same method as per example. It compiles ok but when I test, it is giving message the "The web Update application failed to detect a previous version of your application." Is that means I am not uploading the file at propet place or what I am missing ?

Thanks
Vikram :confused:

linder
09-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Vikram,

You have to use the same Product GUID for the "initial" install (the thing that makes the application web update ready) and in your web update projects.

Then install the initial setup.exe (which initializes web update) and you are ready to go ;)

Does this help?

Friedrich

Vikram
10-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi
Sorry to ask again the silly question but this time I am getting the erro with massege "Cannot download server manifest file. Network Communication error 5060." Does that means I am not including any file or not uploading at properplace or what ?

Thanks
Vikram
Agcentric Pty Ltd
:confused:

linder
10-23-2010, 05:04 AM
Vikram,

Can you download the manifest file via Internet Explorer (to make sure this is not a MIME issue if you are using IIS)?

It's also possible that this is a firewall issue (e.g. your firewall blocks access) or that the configuration settings in your iDeploy properties are incorrect.

If you are interested, send your .sb7 project to support [at] lindersoft [dot] com and we'll check it for you.

Friedrich

Vikram
10-24-2010, 03:24 AM
Hi

Thanks for help. Finally I got the problem which was in my firewall....

Thanks
Vikram:)

linder
10-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the update, Vikram!!

Friedrich