PDA

View Full Version : User Info Dialog Box

Dave Kilroy
09-27-2010, 07:19 AM
I can't find an answer to this on the forum, apologies if I've missed it.

I'm using the User Info Dialog Box to ask users if they want my application installed for all users or just them - but I don't want to bother them asking for their user name, comany name or serial number.

I can hide the text and boxes covering these options but I can't seem to get the 'User Types' text and radio buttons to move up the dialog box even though the help files appear so say the text will appear just below the top banner.

http:///businessplanwriter.co.uk/sites/default/files/resources/UserInfoDialog.png

Any ideas on how I can get the dialog to display nicer? Or advice on implementing the All Users/Current User from a custom dialog?

Thanks!

linder
09-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Dave,

In fact, "per-user" installation option is a thing from the past ;) In modern UAC-aware Windows operating systems, you install "per-machine". Per-user installation from an elevated running setup is not possible (you would install in an incorrect user context).

But if you really have to do it, you can use the "Set Installer Flag..." in combination with the "$SB_ALLUSERSFLAG" flag to enable/disable per-user installation. You can use one of the standard dialogs or create a custom dialog to ask for it. But this is not recommended and will definitely cause a support nightmare for you.

BTW, the following is a very brief description of how to make an application
"UAC-aware":

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=49386#post49386

Does this help?

Friedrich

linder
09-27-2010, 07:39 AM
BTW, I have attached a simple project to demonstrate how to display a radio button dialog and handle the per-machine/per-user question logic.

Friedrich

Dave Kilroy
09-28-2010, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the good answers - i know what to do now.

I currently get SetupBuilder to install data files to a sub-folder in CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA but now will install to sub-folder in CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA - I'll then get my application to copy relevant files on first starting up - simple!

Thanks again (especially for the UAC advice)

Dave

linder
09-28-2010, 04:42 AM
Hi Dave,

You are welcome :)

Perfect. And that is the absolutely correct solution! Very well done.

Friedrich