PDA

View Full Version : Installation logic

tonisa
10-20-2010, 04:29 AM
Hi,
actually I'm using Wise Installation 9. My Setups have the following logic:
the primary setup installs the server-part-files (databases, common used files and info, help, ..), a client-setup.exe and an upgrade.exe. the client-setup installs files like .ocx and other nearly-never-changed files to the local system and launches the upgrade.exe (with special switch) which installs often changed files like the application.exe, help, .. The upgrade.exe is than downloaded when user request an update. Only the "first" user requesting the update downloads it, all other users launch the previously downloaded upgrade.exe (done automatically by my application if it recognizes an update on the server). So I'm sure all users use the same version and users other than the first do not need Internet-access or download huge upgrade-files.
Is there a way to do this staff with SB automated updates or will I've to reproduce my actual logic to the SB-scripts, too?
best regards
Toni

linder
10-20-2010, 04:53 AM
Toni,

I think SetupBuilder can handle this without any problem. It supports both web install and web update. So IMO, it should be possible to convert this logic from Wise to SetupBuilder. If you are interested, you can send your Wise scripts to our Consulting (consulting [at] lindersoft [dot] com) and we'll do a quick review to see if there are potential problems.

Friedrich

tonisa
10-20-2010, 05:46 AM
Friedrich,
thanks for your quick response. I'll go on to test SB and should I run into problems or questions could be I'll send you the scripts. Thank you for this offering.
Toni

linder
10-20-2010, 05:48 AM
You are welcome, Toni :)

Friedrich