PDA

View Full Version : Helpfile for my installers

tonisa
10-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Hi,
is there a way to show a helpbutton on every page of the installer-wizard (standard installer-dialogs)? With my actual wise-scripts I put such a button on every dialog, in the click-event I open a help-side of a .chm file which previously was copied into the temp-folder (the button has an action "execute program hh.exe with option %TEMP%\Install.chm::/install-page1.htm"). Can I add such helpbutton to the standard-dialogs? Or is there any other option or trick to have such behavior?
best regards
Toni

linder
10-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Hi Toni,

No, you can't add such a "Context Help Button(?)" to the top right corner of a wizard dialog. But I like your idea. We'll check to see if it is possible to add this.

Thanks,

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

SetupBuilder is Windows 7 installation -- "point. click. ship"

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

linder
10-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Hi Toni,

It should be possible to integrate this into the wizard. We'll try to add such a feature to one of the next builds. Thank you for your suggestion!

Friedrich

tonisa
10-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Hi Friedrich,
be advised: the "context help button" in the caption-bar normaly acts like F1 on the single focusable wincontrol of the form. So every control should have a "HelpID" or "HelpKeyword"-property.
In my initial request I was thinking on a "help"-button on the left site of the bottom part of the screen (where Next and Previous-buttons stay).
As allways, both options (context help and generic help) could make sense.
best regards.
Toni

linder
10-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Hi Tony,

We'll handle it similar to how Windows Explorer (e.g. Internet Options dialog) does it and process the system command message. So if you click the Context Help Button(?) then it will launch a specific online help item. You do not have to click a control. See attached test.exe.

Friedrich

tonisa
10-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Hi Friedrich,
fine, fine. Not only your support is excellent but you are implementing new requests within hours.
If you help-support it in the same way as MS does it in options- or other modal dialogs, please provide a help-context-property for every page (dialog) of the wizard (standard dialogs and custom dialgos). Since MS was changing the help-system several times (winhelp32.exe outdated, hh.exe (.chm), dExplore.exe, clview.exe (office2007), helpPane.exe (office2010), upcoming "MS Help Viewer 1.0"), what kind of help will you support? Or will there be an event within the wizard-loop and everyone can launch his/hers appropriate helpsystem?

best regards
Toni

linder
10-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Hi Toni,

I think there will be an "execute" option similar to what you do in your Wise script. If you press the Context Help Button(?) on the first wizard then you can ShellExecuteEx hh.exe with option "%TEMP%\Install.chm::/install-page1.htm" and so on.

BTW, we can't add an event for Standard Dialogs because the "Custom Dialog Script Processing" model is only supported in Custom Dialogs. But we can (I think) add a new event for Custom Dialogs to give more power to the Context Help Button(?).

Friedrich

tonisa
11-20-2012, 03:43 AM
Hi,
was this feature implemented? If so, how can I set the helpfile and have the help-BorderIcon?
best regards
Toni