PDA

View Full Version : Server and client setup in one exe

tonisa
10-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi,
I would like to build a setup of my application which contains server and client-part in a single installer. When the setup detects the server-part already installed (may be from another or also the same PC - checking the folder from which the setup.exe is invoked) the only option should be to install the client-part. If the server-part is not already installed, so the the install-options should contain server-part and client-part. If the PC contains a just the client-part installed, the only option should be to update it (if setup has newer version regarding the one installed).
Viceversa when invoking the setup for uninstalling (removing) only the options should be available which were installed previously from invoking PC. Removing the server-part a message should appear if there are still clients with client-part installed (could be controlled by an .ini-value on the server, which is inc/decremented with every install/deinstallation).
For the update-part I think the sample "Detect previous application A.sb7" could be a point to start. Do you have some sample for the mixed part client/server-setup pointing me in the right direction?
best regards
Toni

linder
10-29-2010, 04:16 AM
Toni,

Server and Client installation from the same setup.exe is no problem. But an example project to demonstrate such a Client/Server deployment strategy would be too complex (and is nearly a Consulting job). It always depends on the specific requirement of the system. Sometimes the client install only asks for the server location and then installs a Shortcut to the file(s) on the server, sometimes a client setup installs client specific files. There are too many unknown parameters and so it's nearly impossible to develop a good Client/Server example project.

Friedrich

tonisa
10-29-2010, 04:57 AM
Hi Friedrich,
thanks for your help. In the meantime I found some other interesting thread in this forum with some idea I will consider in my setup. Should I need further help I'll come back.
best regards
Toni

linder
10-29-2010, 04:59 AM
Hi Toni,

Perfect :)

Friedrich