PDA

View Full Version : Setup Builder 7.3 Corrupting projects

ChrisNorris
12-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi folks,

Have now experienced this on multiple occasions. My installer projects work just fine for days, I make builds and all is well. Then I get open the project and upon compile I get:

This is incredibly frustrating as forces me to create a new project from scratch. I see others in the past have reported this also so I am not alone.

Please advise if there is a way of avoiding this occurring randomly or recovering a broken project.

linder
12-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Chris,

Nothing changed in this SetupBuilder area in V7.3. I assume it's your protection software product (perhaps after one of the last definition updates)?

I remember only two or three similar cases in all the years and it was always caused by the protection software product (IIRC). I don't think that it is caused by SetupBuilder per-se. The last message I found is dated 04-14-2009.

What you can do is to use Project | Refresh Text Resource... to recreate the items.

Does this help?

Friedrich

ChrisNorris
12-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Chris,

Nothing changed in this SetupBuilder area in V7.3. I assume it's your protection software product (perhaps after one of the last definition updates)?

I remember only two or three similar cases in all the years and it was always caused by the protection software product (IIRC). I don't think that it is caused by SetupBuilder per-se. The last message I found is dated 04-14-2009.

What you can do is to use Project | Refresh Text Resource... to recreate the items.

Does this help?

Friedrich

It was also happening in version 7.2 and happens fairly frequently. I am using NOD32 although why would this lead to this problem? I can as you say refresh text resources however it loses all customized text of which there is a great deal.

linder
12-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I can't tell you why this happens and I don't think that SetupBuilder corrupts the file!

BTW, the script is not changed if you compile, only if you save it. And if there is a write error during the save process then the IDE displays an error code. As I understand it, you did not see such an error, right?

I think that your protection software product "injects" itself into a process (to monitor it) and then something goes wrong. If there would be such a fundamental malfunction in SetupBuilder then we would see tons of messages here :)

BTW, SetupBuilder lets you create backup files (ZIP) of your projects. This can help to avoid data loss.

Friedrich

CMS Software
12-08-2010, 07:58 PM
I am using NOD32 although why would this lead to this problem?

I vote for NOD32 being the problem. It is a very thorough virus checker, but it caused us so much grief that we removed it from our development machine and went to Avast Antivirus. Problems gone. NOD32 even messed up boot and shutdown. The boot went to over two minutes and the shutdown went to over 5 minutes.

Just my 2 cents based on past experience.

-O. D. Williams-