PDA

View Full Version : Modal setting.

beevoli
05-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Currently I have an Installshield 2008 install and am working on switching over to Setupbuilder 7.3.

As part of the install, We are uninstalling the old version of the program. In order to do this completely, we have to run this command line:
Run Command Line "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{820020E9-082B-49AD-9467-EF5815C61D1A}\setup.exe" -runfromtemp -l0x0409 -removeonly [Wait]

I have it set to Wait, but it doesn't instead the Instalshield uninstaller seems to kick off another program and the setupbuilder install attempts to continue.
Is there a way to force setupbuilder to wait?
Or at least to make it not the foreground application?

I want the user to complete the uninstall of the previous program before they install the new one.

linder
05-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Hello,

The problem is that, if the InstallShield uninstall launches another application to do the real uninstall process (and terminates immediately), then the "Wait" process is our of your control.

First of all, I would suggest to try the "Run Program..." script function instead of "Run Command Line...". The "Run Program..." function has an "hide" option available. Of course, it's possible that InstallShield does not handle this flag, but it's worth a try.

Isn't there any other way to "uninstall" your InstallShield powered application (e.g. call the uninstall directly instead of running setup.exe in "remove mode")? Perhaps there is something in the 'Add/Remove control panel' registry entries that tells you how to call your uninstall directly (this would solve your wait problem).

Friedrich

beevoli
05-11-2011, 09:22 AM
I will try the Run Program option with Hide.

There are two entries in the Uninstall programs registry.
1. Our Application.
2. Installshield's pointer to our application...

The one that directly uninstalls our old application removes most of our application, It does not remove the Installshield pointer to our Application and it leaves more remnants of the Installsheild Installer and Merge Modules. In order to completely remove our program we have to use the uninstall command in the instalshield's Pointer section of uinstall registry settings.

Thank you for your quick response.

linder
05-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Aha, okay. Then I think the setup.exe (in removal mode) launches another application and returns immediately. In other words, the wait for the 1st setup.exe app is over and you can't wait for the 2nd "child" app. I fear there is nothing that you can do because you do not have any control over this process.

Friedrich

beevoli
05-11-2011, 09:37 AM
That didn't occur to me, and makes allot of sense. Thank you again for your quick response.