PDA

View Full Version : Backing up files

Rometech
08-08-2011, 09:16 AM
I am looking at switching from WISE to this product, however i have run into an issue. In Wise I would make a backup copy of the program before updating by making a simple copy to another directory. That way if they have an issue in updating it is easy to revert back to where they started by just copying everything back. In SB, when it makes the copy it changes all file extensions to .0001. You would have to manually change all file extensions by hand which is not very easy to do and very time consuming. Is there anyway to copy the files without the file extensions changing?

linder
08-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Hello,

When the installer overwrites an existing file, it makes a backup copy and automatically increases the file extension "number" to make sure that multiple updates to not "destroy" the backup history. So you can always rollback to previous versions. During an uninstall, the file extension index is restored to the original one.

BTW, what about a ZIP backup before you start the install? SetupBuilder allows you to ZIP files (see "Zip Files..." script function) and even UNZIP. Or you can copy a whole folder tree ("Copy Folder Tree..." script function).

Friedrich