PDA

View Full Version : Code signing crashes

Tom H.
08-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi!

I've been having issues with the SB7 code signing process crashing on me. I been working around them, but figured it was time to report it.

Windows 7 Enterprise
winsdk_web (.NET 4) (code signing DLLs from MS SDK 4, no Capicom.dll needed)
SB7.5.3378.0

Code signing works fine when SB7 is first opened. If I make changes to the script, at least half of the time the script compiler will fail after invoking SignTool with an Error = 2.

Unfortunately, after the error/failed compile it puts the SB7 IDE into an unstable state, either crashing it right there or failing on the next compile. Restarting the SB7 IDE doesn't usually stop the SignTool errors, so I'm sure the MS has something persistent going on as well (probably .NET 4 related.)

Restarting the Win7 VM lets me compile multiple releases within the script without any issues, as long as I don't make changes.

I hope this is clear enough.

Thanks,
Tom

linder
08-09-2011, 02:28 AM
Hi Tom,

I think there was a code-signing problem (e.g. the timestamp server was not available or accessible) and then the code-signing tool caused a stack corruption. I fear there is nothing that we can do :( BTW, I would suggest to put the sb7.exe and the code-signing .exe to your anti-virus scanners exclusion list to make sure that it does not "block" access to the Comodo/VeriSign timestamp server.

Friedrich

Tom H.
01-27-2012, 06:04 PM
(Just to sort of round off this thread...)

After some research, I have found that if I have Windows Explorer open on the default Installs folder where my installs are built, it will fail every time. Select any other folder, and the signing step works every time.

It seems Windows 7 puts some kind of hold or watch on the folder it is displaying, and SignTool does not like that at all. I've also run into similar issues with folders shared between XP, Vista and Win 7 where you can't rename/move/delete files due to these invisible locks.

Hope this helps someone,
Tom H.

linder
01-28-2012, 03:00 AM
Hi Tom,

Very interesting!!! Thanks for sharing this information!

Friedrich