PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Files (HTTP) issues.

bagofgloom
10-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Somewhere between version 7.0.2680 and 7.5.3378 Downloading Files (HTTP) has stopped working for us. We never used an HTTP site to download files we used an FTP site.

To prove this I uninstalled the current version of SetupBuilder 7.5.3378 and installed version 7.0.2680. Downloading Files (HTTP) started working again.

I have read another post stating that most Corporations are blocking FTP downloads. I have spoken to all of our current customers and none of them are blocking FTP downloads and have no intention of starting. I understand that each customer base is different.

Because of the change to Download Files (HTTP) over a hundred scripts and 1000's of hours testing will be required. We have not touched any of our scripts since January of this year when .NET 4.0 redist was added.

My initial guess is http:// is being added automatically to the path. In turn my FTP path is being changed to http://ftp://whatever.whatever.com. I believe that is how #ftp upload works. I type in whatever.whatever.com and the path is modified to be ftp://whatever.whatever.com is added.

I also understand that #ftp upload is a compiler directive and "Download File (HTTP) is an installer runtime function.

Is there a work around for this? Has something been added that will allow me to Download Files via FTP?

linder
10-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Hello,

NOTHING changed in the HTTP function for years!! The HTTP function is the main function for web updates and SetupBuilder poweres million of installations and web updates per day.

BTW, FTP download has never been (and will never be) supported because 99.9% of all corporate environments block FTP ports. FTP is a security risk!

Friedrich

linder
10-11-2011, 10:43 AM
BTW, just send us a simple test script with one "Download File (HTTP)..." that worked in 7.0 but does not in 7.5. I can then tell you what the problem is. But there is definitely not a HTTP bug in the SetupBuilder runtime.

The script should download the test file from your HTTP server so we can debug the data streams.

Please send the .sb7 project to support [at] lindersoft [dot] com.

Friedrich

Unregistered
10-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Hello,

NOTHING changed in the HTTP function for years!! The HTTP function is the main function for web updates and SetupBuilder poweres million of installations and web updates per day.

BTW, FTP download has never been (and will never be) supported because 99.9% of all corporate environments block FTP ports. FTP is a security risk!

Friedrich

So you are saying that I lied. I don't appreciate being called a liar. I did my testing and proved that if I never upgrade your software it works.

bagofgloom
10-11-2011, 11:47 AM
BTW, just send us a simple test script with one "Download File (HTTP)..." that worked in 7.0 but does not in 7.5. I can then tell you what the problem is. But there is definitely not a HTTP bug in the SetupBuilder runtime.

The script should download the test file from your HTTP server so we can debug the data streams.

Please send the .sb7 project to support [at] lindersoft [dot] com.

Friedrich

At no point in time did I ever say there was bug. I simply stated that Download Files using an FTP path worked and now it doesn't. As you can see from the screen shot below I do not use an HTTP path I use an FTP path.

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/kilgorehalsig/?action=view&current=DownloadFile.png

linder
10-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I never said that you are a liar. I only told you that the FTP protocol has never been supported.

My offer still stands. Just send a simple demo .sb7 project to our Support and we can tell you what is going on.

Regards,

Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft

linder
10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Hello,

unfortunately, I can't see the screenshot here. I don't know where this 'FTP path' is pointing to. Perhaps to a HTTP server? But we can tell you as soon as you send a simple demo .sb7 that downloads a file from that server in 7.0 without any problem and fails in 7.5.

Regards,

Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft

linder
10-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Hello,

Your previous message linked to the following external screenshot (see attached PNG file).

I can guarantee you that this was not a FTP connection. The FTP protocol uses two connections in parallel — one for command and control, and a second channel for data transport. Unless another port is specified, FTP servers listen for clients to connect on their Port 21.

The screenshot tells us that you are using "Host Port: 80" — but Port 80 is HTTP, not FTP!!!!!! So you have never used an FTP site.

FTP servers use TCP ports 20 and 21 to send and receive information and web servers are running on TCP port 80. The FTP server application when it starts will bind itself to TCP ports 20 and 21, and wait for connections in order to send and receive data.

In other words, FTP and HTTP(S) are completely different, incompatible protocols. From the technical point-of-view, it is absolutely impossible to connect with a HTTP Port 80 client application to a FTP server!

BTW, and ftp://upgradeyaddayadda.com is an invalid FTP host format. You would specify it as ftp.upgradeyaddayadda.com in a FTP client (e.g. FTP Voyager or FTP Explorer).

And to make it work in your setup, you have to specify www.upgradeyaddayadda.com (or an IP address) in the "Host Addres"s field to connect to your HTTP server and download the file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

SetupBuilder is Windows 7 installation -- "point. click. ship"

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

linder
10-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Hello,

I checked this with our Support and we have not received anything yet. You can also send your original .sb7 project and we'll review it for you.

Friedrich