NewsArchive
11-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Newsgroup: dbase.how-to

O. D. Williams wrote:
> I have used the INNO installer and am presently using the SetupBuilder
> installer from Lindersoft.com. There are several advantages to SetupBuilder
> including the ability to create UAC aware installs, 32/64 bit hybrid
> installs and also Lindersoft Customers can buy Comodo code signing
> certificates at a significant discount.
>
> We also use SetupBuilder to build some stand alone utility programs.

Hi O.D.,

The Crucial Question: does SetupBuilder install the BDE?

Thanks.

David

NewsArchive
11-10-2011, 02:02 AM
> The Crucial Question: does SetupBuilder install the BDE?

I do have a SetupBuilder install for the older 16 bit BDE which I built by using code from INNO to build the SetupBuilder script. I have not yet built one for the 32 Bit BDE that comes with 2.6.2 and 2.7.x but will be doing so soon.

So far I have just used the installer that comes with dBase and that install is documented in our manual and help files.

Our main reason for going to SetupBuilder is that it can not only do simple or complex installs but it can also build update installs that can be downloaded from our ISP. A small modification to our program causes our software to check for updates every day and, if there is one, ask the user if they want to download and install it. No more shipping update CDs that get lost, damaged, or misdirected. All updates are done by automatic internet download thanks to SetupBuilder.

Also, using SetupBuilder technology, we can set an expire date on our software so that once the free year of updates has expired, the program will no longer allow free update downloads unless the user purchases another year of support and upgrades. It's all automatic with Setupbuilder.

-O. D.-