PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Program Folder not working

Fabian Fuller
02-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Hi,

Using SB 7.6.3595 Developer evaluation version, when installing a program, if I change the Program Folder, the change doesn't take effect (Start>All Programs shows the original, unchanged, value); rather, the value in Installation Details>Shortcuts>Folder Name is used.

Fabian Fuller
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

linder
02-12-2012, 04:13 AM
Fabian,

This dialog is obsolete in modern installations and is only there (in SB6/SB7) for compatibility reasons. You can still use it, but I would not do it.

See attached screenshot.

Does this help?

Friedrich

Fabian Fuller
02-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Hi Friedrich,

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, it helps, because with %_SB_PROGRAMGROUP% the feature works.

But, why have the Select Program Folder screen instruct the user that "You may type a new folder name,...") if it doesn't work? It gives the user instructions that don't work.

Or, is it meant to imply typing a new folder name that exists in the Existing Folders list?

Fabian

linder
02-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Fabian,

You can enter a new folder name (that does not exist) and then the installer creates it. See attached screenshot (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit).

Friedrich

Fabian Fuller
02-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Hi Friedrich,

I'm emailing you a .sb7 to demonstrate. It does not use %_SB_PROGRAMGROUP%. When I run it, any change I make to Program Folder during the installation dialog does not take effect.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your explanation. Anyway, you already helped me by telling me about %_SB_PROGRAMGROUP%, and I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Fabian

linder
02-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Fabian,

See attached screenshots. Your forgot to set the %_SB_PROGRAMGROUP% variable. By default, the built-in variable %_SB_PROGRAMGROUP% stores the selected (or entered) Program Group name.

Does this help?

I know, it's your program, but I would not use this feature. It's so old-style ;). It is only there for compatibility with older versions...

Friedrich