PDA

View Full Version : SB 6.9 File Size Limitation?

susan
04-26-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm using SB 6.9 Developmer Edition on Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-bit) . I am creating an installer that is ~ 741MB. The compiler completes without error or warning but the resulting .exe properties do not contain the file version and the file icon in Explorer is not the usual installer icon. I can still execute the installer.

If I remove a file to make the installer size above 500MB but below 741MB size, the installer .exe does have the file properties and the expected icon.

Is there a file size limitation for creating an installer in 6.9? If not, are there any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks for your help!

linder
04-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Susan,

This is not a SetupBuilder bug or limitation. If you compile a Windows application (with Visual Studio, Clarion, Visual Basic, SetupBuilder, etc.) that is more than several hundred megabytes in size, Windows Explorer may show a generic "Application" icon for that file in place of the expected icon. And when you view the File Properties, the Version tab may be missing.

This is not a SetupBuilder issue. The problem is caused by the Windows APIs Explorer uses to extract icons and version info. They try to map the entir file into memory; when there isn't a large enough contiguous block of address space available, they fail.

In SetupBuilder 7, it is possible to work around this by creating a "Custom (for UAC-aware systems)" media type. This option lets you compile your large installation into a small setup.exe and a setup.bin file (with an option to generate a multiple-volume disk set), limiting setup.exe to a size Explorer can handle.

Does this help?

Friedrich

susan
04-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Yes that does help! Thank you very much!

--Susan

linder
04-27-2012, 12:57 AM
You are welcome :)

Friedrich