PDA

View Full Version : Overview of Dialog Wizard

Chris
06-10-2012, 06:33 AM
Can you point me a simple explanation of how the Define Dialog Wizard/Loop Wizard works? (I hav read the PDF and the Learning SetupBuilder examples).

For example. I just want to ask user to input a word. Not as part of a series of Dialogs, just this one dialog on its own).
I used Define Wizard Dialog .... (Edit Data)
but this is simply ignored when the installer runs.

So I guess I need to put Loop Wizard just after The Define Wizard. This does then show the User Input dialog.

But how does this interact with any other Dialogs I may also have elsewhere in the script? How does the Loop Wizard know which Dialog(s) to show?

And (separate question). Is the above the best way to ask user to input a bit of text, or is there another script function I should consider?

linder
06-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Hello,

The Loop Wizard structure is used to display a series of wizard dialogs defined by Wizard:Define Dialog. Of course, you can also use it to display only one dialog.

The SetupScript language is completely from "top to bottom". What you see in the script is how it is executed.

IMO, you should not use a single dialog solution here but display your input dialog as part of your "wizard".

Friedrich

Chris
06-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Thanks again Friedrich,
but a couple of questions you failed to answer.
1. how does Loop Wizard know which Dialog(s) to include?
(ie. if there are several Loop wizards in the scripts)

2. To get user to enter simple bit of text, is there a better method
than Define Dialog?

linder
06-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Chris,

I have developed and uploaded a simple project.

http://www.lindersoft.com/projects/Chris.zip

This demo (see attached screenshot) displays three different "wizards". The first one is custom dialog one. If you click the Next button, the wizard closes and the next wizard is displayed (all from "top to bottom" in the script). This time it displays two dialogs. You can enter some text in the second dialog and the wizard displays (after you click Next) what you entered -- this is handled from within the second Loop Wizard statement. After that, the wizard closes and the Finish dialog (wizard) is displayed.

You can use a standard dialog or a custom dialog (see Visual Dialog Editor) to let the user enter data.

Does this help?

Friedrich

Chris
06-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks again. I appreciate your help.
I see the working example, and I can GUESS what is happening.
But I am asking for an explanation of how it works.

Here is my guess.
When the Loop Wizard runs, it displays all the Dialogs in the lines above, up to any previous Loop Wizard end.
When this Loop Wizard ENDS, those dialogs above it are finished, and will not be considered by any Loop Wizard further down the page?
Is this correct?

linder
06-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Yes, this is correct.

Friedrich