PDA

View Full Version : Big wishes for next major SetupBuilder version

sphair
03-04-2005, 07:57 AM
I don't want this into 5.0, but once you've made 5.0 stable and start planning bigger upgrades, I'd really, really like to be able to use the editor for everything. I want to move, copy and delete any item. Today some items can be cut/pasted around, while some are stuck in place and I need to use the GUI tools to modify them. I can't modify the order of them in the script either. Being a programmer, I find this an awkward way of creating advanced scripts.

Typical example, I want to insert many registry settings. Based on some of the user selections during the wizard dialogs, some of these settings should be ignore or modified differently. So I need to put some IFs around some of the registry inserts. I know of the Feature Selections, but they are not always fitting for this task. So instead of grouping closely all the registry settings I need to modify and enclose them with one IF check, I now need to put 5 IF checks in different places in my [ Edit Registry ] section.

linder
03-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Hello,

There are only three or four items that cannot be moved (because they are used in the Visual Designer). We are already working on a workaround.

BTW, you can use the "Edit Registry" script item here (this item can be moved etc. without any problem).

HTH,

sphair
03-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Would make more sense if both the Registry GUI Editor and the script used the same command?

linder
03-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Yes, but these specific Visual Designer commands provide additional functions (e.g. Feature view, etc.). You have to use extra scripting to, say, create a registry key/value only for "Feature 1" when using the "Edit Registry" script item. Using the Registry function from within the Visual Designer allows you to set it to "Feature 1" without doing any additional scripting.

We are already working on a solution :)

Friedrich

sphair
03-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Why can't most script commands have a Feature Selection then?

linder
03-04-2005, 09:07 AM
There are only three or four items (out of more than 400 functions) that cannot be moved yet. For example, the ::Registry Key command cannot be moved because it stores extra information (required to display the Registry tree in the Visual Designer).

All these items (that cannot be moved yet) store extra information required to display them in the Visual Designer. You can use the script items without any problem.