PDA

View Full Version : Error decompressing #8...?

Modest Automatisering BV
03-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Hi Friedrich,

Wondering about the reason I suddenly get a (and i translate from Dutch) "decompression error #8" while installing my *just* updated installer.

It starts yelling at me when installing the last bits, the PDF's that contain the manual.

Any idea what i could be doing wrong?

Screenshot included....

Thanks and best regards!

Mark Pronk
Modest Automatisering BV

linder
03-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Hi Mark,

This has nothing to do with your updated installer. I think you have an "Cyclic redundancy check CRC32" error here. That means, you are running an incomplete or tampered setup.exe. I would suggest to check the code-signature of this setup.exe. If it is valid, then it's caused by another issue (e.g. latest virus definition update). But IMO, your code-signature will report "invalid".

Does this help?

Friedrich

linder
03-07-2013, 08:39 AM
BTW, what you can also do is to enable the "Installer Integrity Check" feature. The advantage of this feature is to offer a layer of protection between the creator of an installation file and the recipient. The purpose of fingerprint verification is to help provide detection of tampered, hacked, and incomplete or virus infected installation files.

Friedrich

linder
03-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Similar to the attached screenshots. You change only one byte (from HEX 51 to HEX 52) in the setup.exe to simulate a transmission error and SetupBuilder detectes this to protect your customers.

Friedrich

Modest Automatisering BV
03-07-2013, 08:52 AM
IIC feature fixed it Friedrich!

I have no clue how to check the code-signature of this setup.exe

Modest Automatisering BV
03-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Anti-tamper switch activated so to speak then.. Good! Works like a charm now!

Thanks again!

linder
03-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Hi Mark,

:)

If you have code-signed the setup.exe, just open the properties and select the "Digital Signatures" tab. Then "Details" button and Windows displays the validity (e.g. "This digital signature is OK").

Friedrich

linder
03-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Cool :) Thanks for the update, Mark!

Friedrich

Modest Automatisering BV
03-07-2013, 08:59 AM
About the code-signing. This does not work if we don't have a certificate to sign our installers / code with, am I right?

We don't have one (looked up once what Comodo needs from us, didn't get much of it).

Nevertheless: problem is solved using the Installer Integrety Check switched to ON.

linder
03-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Hi Mark,

No problem. If you have Integrity Check enabled then the installer will report the following (when you start it and you have an incomplete or tampered setup):

Friedrich